Outdoor breeding challange

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We do it every summer as a club.

Cool well I have a jewel cichlid pair an convict pairs that breed every 10 days. I also breed peacock cichlids but I wouldn't recommend them for that challenge. I feel like cichlids would better than guppies because they protect and look after their you g whereas guppies etc eat them.

Cool well I have a jewel cichlid pair an convict pairs that breed every 10 days. I also breed peacock cichlids but I wouldn't recommend them for that challenge. I feel like cichlids would better than guppies because they protect and look after their you g whereas guppies etc eat them.

Realistically any fish is suitable to use so long as they can with stand the fluctuating temperatures . Sure I could have used convicts or Kribs but what am I going to do with a 4-5 hundred fry?! Not all livebearer are fry eaters Endlers, Platys, swords can typically be left with their fry with out issues.

Well with the weather dipping down into the 40s at night I decided to pull all the fish and break down the pond. There was:

-32 Platties
-1 Giant Carbon Rili
-Metric ton of Ram's Horn Snails.

I think next year I need to get the plants started a little sooner so there's more cover and feed a little more. I only went up there about once a week which I think led to some cannibalism and possible fry death. It wasn't a very mature system so wasn't allot of micro organisms to support the light feedings. I have notes on what needs to change and I can't wait to start next year!

Not bad! :) What about next year if you get a whole bunch of Naja's grass for the fry? It would be perfect for the fry to hide in. Grows fast, it's a floating stem plant, and fairy cheap. Might help.

Not bad! :) What about next year if you get a whole bunch of Naja's grass for the fry? It would be perfect for the fry to hide in. Grows fast, it's a floating stem plant, and fairy cheap. Might help.

I had a bunch of plants in there but they didn't take off the way I had hoped. I don't know of they got to much or to little light. It was on the side of the house and got direct sunlight from about 9:30 am to about 3-4 PM. I also put in ferts and root tabs in it so I know that's not the issue.

Back
Top Bottom