Outdoor breeding challange

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well I got the "pond" set up, I didn't get it perfectly level but I figured its only temp. set up so whatever. I'll be getting the filter, adding the substrate and plants in a day or two.

Now to just figure out stock! I'm thinking since it will still get down to 55-58 deg at night some type of livebearer or Danio may be my best bet. I don't know if cichlids will breed when it gets down that low at night.
img_2512213_0_83fc73f59b75aff5721f3985c096ffa2.jpg

I can just see you sitting in that thing on a hot summer day with your fish swimming around you, thinking like what the heck is he doing in our tank!

BN plecos... Just need lots of rocks. The outdoors will provide a lot of algae as well. I'm sure many of the others have better ideas though haha. BNs have a lot of fry though, and they're not very appealing to predatory birds and won't jump (or barely ever jump)

What about a bunch of live bearing Least Killifish? US native (although more used to southern temperatures), with cover from floating plants I wouldn't think any bird would ever see such a tiny fish.

BN plecos... Just need lots of rocks. The outdoors will provide a lot of algae as well. I'm sure many of the others have better ideas though haha. BNs have a lot of fry though, and they're not very appealing to predatory birds and won't jump (or barely ever jump)

I like this idea.

What about a bunch of live bearing Least Killifish? US native (although more used to southern temperatures), with cover from floating plants I wouldn't think any bird would ever see such a tiny fish.

I thought of that, I have some Mexican Sail-fin Mollys that I may put in there that would really benefit from being out in the pond.

I may just put my BN in there to spawn and not count them.

Well I spoke with the breeder who sold me my Sailfins in hopes I could get a couple more pairs before I put them out into the pond and it turns out that's no such a good idea. The reason being is everyone else he's sold those fish too have managed to kill them so now the only two people that have these fish are myself and the collector who has his original wild trio. I don't think I want to risk them out doors!

So my new proposed stock is one of the following:

- X. variatus "Blue"
- Poecilia wingei "green"
- Gambusia holbrooki
-Heterandria formosa

I'm kinda leaning towards the blue variatus since I already have some and they have fairly large spawns.

You know how I know your...nevermind lol. Xiphophorus variatus are pretty cool I will admit. And there is no way I'd risk the others, I protect my septemfaciatus like they're gold!

You know how I know your...nevermind lol. Xiphophorus variatus are pretty cool I will admit. And there is no way I'd risk the others, I protect my septemfaciatus like they're gold!

My wife hasn't gone to the post office yet, just keep it up!

I've got 6 breeding pairs as well, I don't even save the fry any longer since I can't get rid of them. My pairs are F1's from Rusty's WC fish too!

Picked up a 500 GPH pond pump with sponge prefilter and also media baskets for planting last night at homedepot. I should have time to get everything in there today but the fish. Ill post pictures later this afternoon.

I am also going to stop at my buddies LFS and get some active bacteria in a bottle he sells. It's kept in the fridge and has a shelf life so I have high hopes for it. Everyone who has used it have nothing but praise for the product, so well see.

Back
Top Bottom