Pregnant guppy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Taylordove

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just bought 2 female guppys and 3 males . Both oft females are pregnant , and I honestly have no idea how to tell how far along they are or what I need for the fry . I do know their pregnant as they both have the big dark spot on the side of them . So could someone please tell me everything I need and what to do ?

Attachments

• image-3195850651.jpg
    image-3195850651.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 71
  • image-1088808280.jpg
    image-1088808280.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 78
Unless you know when she got pregnant its hard to say because all females vary some in the time it takes and how she looks. But from what i see within a week or so. Guppy fry can take care of them self but to increase their chances you can remove her when they are born or fish the out. Also you can get a breeder box or net and put her in and when she has them take her out.

I just bought 2 female guppys and 3 males . Both oft females are pregnant , and I honestly have no idea how to tell how far along they are or what I need for the fry . I do know their pregnant as they both have the big dark spot on the side of them . So could someone please tell me everything I need and what to do ?

First off, you really need to have a ratio of 2+ females PER male. Having the same or more amount of males will result in the females being harassed or death. They look like they have under a week left. I take it you want fry? Do you have another tank? How big is the current tank and is it planted?

I do have another tank , and no it's not panted . The tank I have right now is a 10g

I suggest getting some kind o plant if you want to save most of them. And a 10 gallon will be overran in a month or two. My guppy community tank has only 4 males and about 15 to 20 females haven't counted lately. I just let that tank do as they will. One of my big females just gave birth. I fished out 18 of the fry and there are still a lot more in there. It's near impossible to stop them from breeding. If I didn't keep it under control it would be over ran in like a week with all the females giving birth all the time.

Okay thanks! Do you think I should get a breeding tank ? Or will they be okay in the tank with the other fish ?

If you don't plan on getting a bigger tank then no dont worry about it. It might be better to let nature take its course in a small tank.

It really depends on how many guppies you want the only thing I suggest you do is keep the first batch to get more females to get the ratio of male to female right. That way the females are not stressed. At least 2 females to each male.

Okay thanks! I'm actually going to the pet store today to get some females and some plants

Back
Top Bottom