Pregnant platy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guppyman34

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I really am not sure if my platy is pregnant or if this is something else. It showed up really out of the blue in the last day or so. Shes the black and orange platy.

Attachments

• image-2636686434.jpg
    image-2636686434.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 97
  • image-2540909710.jpg
    image-2540909710.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 107
  • image-3639888113.jpg
    image-3639888113.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 627
If you could post better pics that would help alot more.

Is she eating, swimming or doing anything out of the ordinary??

Also are you certain its a female

Monkey Magic said:
If you could post better pics that would help alot more.

Is she eating, swimming or doing anything out of the ordinary??

Also are you certain its a female

I can try, she was eating but now she's hiding and not swimming much, the fact that the bump on her stomach is kind of pointy worries me, and yes I'm absolutely sure she's female.

Have you tested your water?
Is she going to the toilet?
More than likely shes pregnant but its always good to be on the safe side when in doubt

Monkey Magic said:
Have you tested your water?
Is she going to the toilet?
More than likely shes pregnant but its always good to be on the safe side when in doubt

The water is good, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 0 - 10 nitrate, yes she's releasing waste, and remarkably the point of which I was worried has pretty much disappeared.

Monkey Magic said:
Always a good. sign is it the entire bump thats disappeared or just the point??

Pretty much the entire bump, I think, and she's seems to be acting normal again

if you could get more pics that'd be great. Looks female to me and definitely looked to be holding, except that in the pictures her fins were clamped. Can you see a gravid spot?
It's possible she was bloated after a heavy meal (not implying you overfeed) I have a molly that sometimes looks like a balloon belly when she gorges herself like a fatty lol.
Good Luck(y)

I have a molly that sometimes looks like a balloon belly when she gorges herself like a fatty lol.
Good Luck(y)[/QUOTE]
I beleieve the scientific name for this is food baby. Lol

Thanks! It did seem to happen after I fed her, last night, but after I took those pics she was hiding all day until I fed again tonight, and by then the bump was gone....

derail said:
if you could get more pics that'd be great. Looks female to me and definitely looked to be holding, except that in the pictures her fins were clamped. Can you see a gravid spot?
It's possible she was bloated after a heavy meal (not implying you overfeed) I have a molly that sometimes looks like a balloon belly when she gorges herself like a fatty lol.
Good Luck(y)

Oh, what did you mean by her find were clamped?

Looking at the pictures, did you notice how her caudal (tail) fin and dorsal fin were pressed against her body as opposed to being fanned out? That's what I meant. Could have just been for the pictures tho. Sorry if that sounded smart alicky. That a word? Lol wasn't trying to be snippy

derail said:
Looking at the pictures, did you notice how her caudal (tail) fin and dorsal fin were pressed against her body as opposed to being fanned out? That's what I meant. Could have just been for the pictures tho. Sorry if that sounded smart alicky. That a word? Lol wasn't trying to be snippy

Oh no I didn't take it that way, I understand what you said now, yeah I see that, they are raised again now though I believe

Yeah, the clamped fins is a great indicator that something might be wrong, so when you're observing then you can keep an eye out for it. I like the guppy in the first picture. Out of curiosity, how many male platys do you have with that pretty sunburst female?

derail said:
Yeah, the clamped fins is a great indicator that something might be wrong, so when you're observing then you can keep an eye out for it. I like the guppy in the first picture. Out of curiosity, how many male platys do you have with that pretty sunburst female?

Well, up until wednesday i had the 1 male and 2 females, it's kind of a sad story, I was feeding my cories their algae wafers, and I usually break them up so I can spread them out, but I accidentally broke one up too much, but I thought nothing of it. So I let them drop in but my one female platy decided to try to eat it. She ate it and spit it back out a few times so I was worried and was about to scoop it out but she ate it and wouldn't spit it back up. An hour later she was dead...... So now I have 1 male and 1 female..... Thanks I really like the guppy too!

Aw that is sad. Not to be nosey, but I'd put another female platy or two in there, as livebearers the male can and will harass her to breed and it can get quite stressful. Then you'll have plenty of babies and won't need to buy another platy lol! I bought my first guppy and molly recently for genetic diversity so I wouldn't have inbreeding :)

derail said:
Aw that is sad. Not to be nosey, but I'd put another female platy or two in there, as livebearers the male can and will harass her to breed and it can get quite stressful. Then you'll have plenty of babies and won't need to buy another platy lol! I bought my first guppy and molly recently for genetic diversity so I wouldn't have inbreeding :)

Yeah I'm planning to buy another this week.

Back
Top Bottom