Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-11-2013, 02:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Pregnant platy

I bought my platies from a LFS about 7 weeks ago, the next day I noticed one of them was a bit bigger than the others. She got much bigger over the weeks, then last week I found fry in the tank. i saw three but only managed to save one and put it in a breeder net. One of them got eaten right in front of my eyes, so I'm guessing the mum ate most of them. My question is, how long does it take before platies give birth to all the babies? She still looks much bigger than the other platies. Is there more babies to come? Should I put her in a separate breeding net or not? Thanks in advance!

Old 03-11-2013, 03:43 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

It can tank anywhere from 2-6 hours. depending on how comfortable she is with giving birth, I would put her in a breeder box, and shut the lights off. Hopefully you can get one where the babies can drop down below her because she definitely will eat the babies! Hope this is helpful! and good luck with your babies!!

Tags
platy, pregnant

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com