Questions about JD behavior after spawning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

njweiss

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My jack dempseys laid eggs last week and i separated them from our other fish, i got a new 30gal and filled it with water from the other tank. the babies hatched (and are adorable) and they are 4 days old today. Everything was going good until today, the parents started freaking out and werent talking to each other (this is the story in my head lol) mama fish was her log cave all day and dada fish found a spot and stayed perfectly still all day. Neither of them payed much attention to the fry all day. Then dada fish went nuts for some reason and from him freaking out all of the babies got tossed around the tank and they are scattered about, so i removed dada and put him back into the big tank. Was this the right thing to do? Mama is just now (like 3 hours later) corraling the babies and getting them back into an area. Oh she gave up and shes hiding again... Will the babies be ok? and is it normal that shes lost the dark coloring she had?

bonus pics of adorable babies this is them today
301588_10150426599361488_594706487_10791047_717595553_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom