silver tipped sharks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BakerBoy17

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a pregnant sliver tipped shark. I just got her from petsmart and they told me she was pregnant. I got a breeding net and she's in there now. What all do I need to do?

I did not know that silver tips could be bred in captivity. Are you sure they were correct at petsmart? Silver tip sharks can get u to 2 feet long so, while I am not an expert, I don't know that one small enough to fit into a breeding net could reproduce...
Fish should only go into breeding nets when you are sure that they are about to pop out fry. Momma fish need exersize. How big is she? Can you put up pictures? How big of a tank is she in? Is she in a community?

definitely not pregnat. they are egg layers,and as absolute angel said above they get real big. unless you have a huge tank then you should return or rehome it

Well that's what I thought. They are a little to small to be pregnant but I just wanted to make sure. But of course they were wrong because they also said that they were live birth. But I'm about to but them into my 32 gallon tank once I put my oscars into my 75 gallon one. I'm just waiting until I get gravel to put into it.

You think they would get cramped in which one? They are really small right now so I'm not worried about it until I can get another big tank. Because I don't think they would get along with my oscars

They would defintiely be cramped in the 32. But a group of 2 foot fish would also be cramped in a 75 gallon. Do you have a definite plan for a bigger tank?

I had two and i had to return them cuz my tank is only 29 gallons. And i thought i saw a preggers on at petsmart and then i did some research. The males are mouth brooders, they keep the eggs in their mouth till they hatch, and from what i have read there is no record of successfully breeding them in aquariums.

Yes. I'm gonna get a way bigger one. I'm looking into getting a 135 gallon tank. Or a 120 gallon. But thanks for all the answers.

Yes when I was younger my dad had one and it was always swimming everywhere they're much more exciting then oscars

Back
Top Bottom