Snails and ghost shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JawziFish22

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So when I first got my plant I didn't notice until a couple weeks later that there was a snail that came along with it. Later snooks (snail) laid some eggs and my ghost shrimp hasn't seemed eat them yet but would he?? And I know they won't hatch because I only have one random snail, but I would feel bad... The egg picture is a but hard to see but they are everywhere.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130807_082314.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130807_082314.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 127
  • ForumRunner_20130807_082507.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130807_082507.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 118
  • ForumRunnerImage.jpg
    ForumRunnerImage.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 122
So when I first got my plant I didn't notice until a couple weeks later that there was a snail that came along with it. Later snooks (snail) laid some eggs and my ghost shrimp hasn't seemed eat them yet but would he?? And I know they won't hatch because I only have one random snail, but I would feel bad... The egg picture is a but hard to see but they are everywhere.

They probably will hatch. Pond Snails, can save sperm like most snails. So even one can have fertile eggs. You may want to remove some eggs. Pond Snails can overpopulate.

I like mine, but I keep the numbers in check. They won't eat healthy plants.

Wow I had no idea, but I figured it may have just matured because I didn't notice it until two weeks after I got the plant, but we'll see, I may give some to my friend who also has a tank if I get too many. Thank you

Yep they will overpopulate your tank especially if you accidentally overfeed the fish. They grow really fast too! Good luck with your tank!! :)

I just found two baby ones... Can't see any others but they could be in the plants and there is still egg sacs haha. Here is the best pic I could get of one

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130819_210242.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130819_210242.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 123
Ghost shrimp do not eat snail eggs, at least not that I have ever seen. I keep many and have tons of snails too. They eat a lot of things but I've never seen them eat snail eggs.

Ya they definitely don't because I'm now up to about 15 baby snails lol and they vary in size. So I can't really fix stuff in there that got messed up in the move till I know there isn't more. They are Terry cute too.

You all were right and I cannot look at any area and not see a snail.. Haha I feel bad separating them, and I don't have another place in my dorm room for them

Check with the local pet shops and see if anyone needs feeder snails. I have ramshorns and mystery snails and that is what I do. You can offer them for sale on here. I usually offer them for the price of shipping and get rid of my extra when I have them. They are not hard to ship. Just do a search and you will find all kinds of info on shipping snails. I only feed mine twice a week. That seems to keep them in check. I sometimes overfeed and have an explosion though.

If you know anyone with loaches you can always give them to them! Snails don't last more than an hour or two in my tank with loaches!

Back
Top Bottom