Square or Not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think he's scratching himself, both of them he does in mid-water, so he's not scratching on anything, he has been pestering my female a whole lot lately though!

I don't think he's scratching himself, both of them he does in mid-water, so he's not scratching on anything, he has been pestering my female a whole lot lately though!

Yah they are mating. Just a word of advice, think about separating the males and females if you can. Every time my mollies bread the males killed the female when left together. Just a thought!

Whoa I'll have to mov the male out then! But I have 2 females, and I was told that'd help avoid the issue?

Yah, just a suggestion though. That's what happen with mine

I think the female should be alright, and I'll add some hiding places for her next chance I get. I had to stoop to getting a breeder box, even though I really didn't want to. The babies are due today or tomorrow, and I can't get all the DIY stuff put together in time. Here's the setup, all ready for the female (there are two plants in the bottom below the grating, and the top has a few plants as well) here's a pic:

View attachment 81523

Also, I know it looks like there's a fish in there, but that's the other preggo female, she's only about three weeks along, and has another week or so to go. I can see the babies growing inside her though, because she has clear scales! That's a really cool thing to see! ^^

You do realise that putting a due date on your fish's pregnancy just means that it is not going to happen then now haha.

Also, regarding the breeder box you have, once you have fry in there you need to keep a fresh flow of water, which you know. Well the best thing about them breeder boxes designed like yours is you can simply lift it about an inch and the grates either side let the water flow straight through. You can see the scummy film disappear off the surface of the water inside the box if you want to try it and see what I mean!

Imma just stick my air stone inside it, makes it easier ^^

Yeah, will probably work as long as it doesn't just circulate the bad water around the box. I would still lift it about an inch out of the water, thus emptying it, and then slowly let it slide back in then you know that there is fresh water in there!

Ooooh! I get what you're saying now! I thought you were talking about oxygenating the water only! M bad! ^^;;

Haha, noooo. Your air stone would definitely oxygenate the water in that box, I'm just not sure how good a job it would do of removing the pollutants! It very well may be good enough, I just like to see the water physically replaced!

Haha funny little Aron! I've been thinking about putting my Cory catfish with the fry, is that cruel? (the Cory won't mind the babies) I was hoping he could help clean up left over fish flakes ^^

Best thing you can do is get a tiny little dropper pipette style thing and remove any debris off the bottom yourself. I know the cory wouldn't bother the fry but it really wouldn't appreciate being stuck in the box!

Yeah that's what I was thinking, just wanted a second opinion! ^^

Back
Top Bottom