Unidentified fish (with eggs!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

m4tt8

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, all

I have 5 of these fish (3 females 2 males) in my community FW tank, does anyone recognize them? i think they were called lamp eye's by the shop that i got them from but cannot find info anywhere on the net (i've tried www.fishbase.org and many other sites). The three females regularly have eggs (can just about see on the attached pic) but i'm not really sure what to do with them (i assume there just getting eaten ATM).

Any identity suggestions or egg advice would be Great! :D

Thanks

apologies for the picture quality, best my camera would do :roll:

That looks a LOT like a Javanese Rice Fish (Oryzias javanicus) or the yellow morph of its close relative the Medaka Oryzias latipes. I'd lean more toward O. javanicus.

The Javanese Rice Fish, as the name implies, hails from Java and is also found in other locations on the Malay Peninsula. It gets to be about 2 inches in length. They are excellent community fish and don't harm plants.

I don't think that you have one of the 'lampeyes'. They are African killifish of the genus Aplocheilichthys but the anal fin of the fish you've got doesn't look like any I've ever seen on one of those.

If indeed you have Oryzias, they are known to be fairly easy to breed. The female releases eggs that hang from her vent where they are fertilized by the male. The female then brushes the eggs off on plants or a spawning mop. They take several weeks to hatch and can be removed from the aquarium and incubated in a smaller container. Young are easy to raise and will eat baby brine shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom