What fish to breed in a 10 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sillyfishies

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey, I have a teacher at school that doesn't mind me stocking her (empty) 10 gallon. I was planning on breeding something and she doesn't mind. What fish can I breed in a 10 gallon (I have experience with breeding). So anything hard to easy, just lay it on me. Preferably not guppies or live bearers.
I might do a swordtail or ender though.

Red Cherry Shrimp? Scarlet Badis? Pygmy Sunfish? I wouldn't do sword tails since they can get to 5 inches, and I bet you need a lot of tanks for fry from the live bearers.

Shell dweller 'Multie' Cichlids?

Red Cherry Shrimp? Scarlet Badis? Pygmy Sunfish? I wouldn't do sword tails since they can get to 5 inches, and I bet you need a lot of tanks for fry from the live bearers.

Shell dweller 'Multie' Cichlids?

RCS I'm breeding in a 20$ setup already. I don't want to do Scarlet badis. I've never heard of Pygmy sunfish so they're going to be too expensive to find. I'd have to add shells for multies.

Pygmy Sunfish are actually not expensive. They are at aquaculturestore.com but their website is down right now.

What's wrong with adding shells?

What about breeding Celestial Pearl Danios?

Pretty sure they need a 20G if you are always going to keep them in one tank. A ten is okay for a while but not permanently.

A ten is fine for 1 pair... I'd have to pay shipping and that's why their expensive. I'm planning on breeding CPD in a fluval spec 5. Hm... Idk. Ill keep thinking.

what about some least killies?

I know you said no to endlers, but I am absolutely in love with them, so I'm still going to suggest either going for some N class ones like black bar or red chest, OR you can always go for something really brightly colored like Tigers!

Or like someone else already suggested, some pygmy cories. They are pretty desireable so you or your teacher could make some money back on them

what about some least killies?

I know you said no to endlers, but I am absolutely in love with them, so I'm still going to suggest either going for some N class ones like black bar or red chest, OR you can always go for something really brightly colored like Tigers!

Or like someone else already suggested, some pygmy cories. They are pretty desireable so you or your teacher could make some money back on them

I was actually wanting to do endlers! I'm thinking both tigers and pygmies. Ill do my research on them!

Both of those could definitely work, just remember that cories are schoolers so you'd have to have 4 at absolute minimum...Endlers do fine in groups of 3+ so if you did both you'd end up pretty close to your stocking capacity! I have both in one of my 10 gallons right now, but its very heavily planted so water quality isn't an issue luckily!

Both of those could definitely work, just remember that cories are schoolers so you'd have to have 4 at absolute minimum...Endlers do fine in groups of 3+ so if you did both you'd end up pretty close to your stocking capacity! I have both in one of my 10 gallons right now, but its very heavily planted so water quality isn't an issue luckily!

So if I did 4 cories (2m/2f) and 3 endlers what genders should I get? 1 male 2 female?

You actually want more males to females with cories. But it's not a big deal, 2m/2f sounds good. 1m/2f endler wise sounds good. Just like all livebearers you want a 1:2 male:female ratio. But, if you but them online, most people sell them as pairs, so you might have to just go with getting 2 male 2 female

Back
Top Bottom