Whats a good fish to breed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KKAY27

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am wanting a good pair of fish that breeds fairly easy and! I would love to have lots of fry! Please help!!!!!! Any suggestions please:) I'm looking to order soon!!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It all depends on your level of aquarium/ fish knowledge and what your intentions are for the fry. :) Once we know that, then the answers can be more to the point. ;)

I have breed guppies before and mollies but i was wanting something different! I would love to know more about convicts, cories, plecos, danios?? anything rather than a guppy! I have tried to breed german blue rams before but they never did anything! I had several pairs of them but nothing!

I have breed guppies before and mollies but i was wanting something different! I would love to know more about convicts, cories, plecos, danios?? anything rather than a guppy! I have tried to breed german blue rams before but they never did anything! I had several pairs of them but nothing!

Sorry, but you didn;t answer my questions. :confused: Are you an experienced aquarist? Do you know how to alter water chemistries to accommodate your fish's needs for breeding? What kind of breeding set up will you be using? Can you hatch out brine shrimp or create infusoria? Work with microworms or vinegar eels before?
Truth be told, Guppies and Mollies really breed themselves so you don;t need to be an accomplished aquarist to have fry from them but you do need to be for some of the fish you just mentioned.
Please be a little more detailed about your experience so we can help better. ;) (y)

Ive bread a few types of fish and one that i really like to see grow but is very easy at the same time is convicts. They are VERY easy to breed with a male and female and will not stop producing until you seperate them haha

Convicts or mixed African Cichlids, but you'd need two tanks for the Africans. White Cloud Tetras will breed fairly easily. They don't show parental care though.

Angelfish, GBRs, Zebra Danios, Monogamous Mouthbrooding Cichlids, or you could go the invert route, and try Ghost Shrimp.

Istrom how can I tell if my Zebra Danios are spawning? i was curious last week they seemed allot more active and 'playful' with eachother. now you have me curious.. they did this for at least a full day. i just connected it w/ them being happy i put an air bubbler in my tank (which i didnt know i should have )...

Istrom how can I tell if my Zebra Danios are spawning? i was curious last week they seemed allot more active and 'playful' with eachother. now you have me curious.. they did this for at least a full day. i just connected it w/ them being happy i put an air bubbler in my tank (which i didnt know i should have )...

It can be hard to tell when they're breeding, but they're easy to breed. Have a mix of genders and sizes of them and it will eventually happen. Just don't keep them in the aquarium with the eggs because they will eat them.

I usually scoop some gravel with a little cup and put it in a bucket with tank water and watch for eggs to hatch and scoop the babies out and in to the fry tank. Also I find them in between gravel and the glass or on the plants and I will try to get them from there. I've never had any survive with out my intervention though

Sent from my iPhone

If you want a pair of fish that are easy to breed and raise fry I have pairs or trios of super red BN pleco's available. Easy enough to move along juvies as well.
Convicts are easy to breed but essentially worthless, difficult to get rid of the buggers when they grow out. Most related species like Cryptoheros cutteri or Honduran red points are just as easy to breed and generally less trouble.
Cory cats are easy to breed, but raising the fry is much more difficult.
Danio's are easy to breed, and given a suitable tank of their own some fry will grow out just fine on their own. Lots of live floating plants like Najas or hornwort will support a good supply of micro-critters that the tiny danio fry can feed on until they're large enough for other foods. Golden pearls are also good for tiny fry like danio's or bettas.
Ghost shrimp are nearly impossible to breed/raise in aquariums. The name covers dozens or more different species, most of which require salt water for the larvae to survive, and then a transition back to fresh. Cherry shrimp and other Neocaridinia species are much easier to deal with, strictly FW amd no larval stages between hatching and maturity, young are miniature adults.

Back
Top Bottom