Yellow Lab AC Prego!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KreativJustin

Aquarium Advice Freak
In our 55 main tank, we have a yellow lab that is pregnant for the 2nd time. She is still a runt, though her first time she had 9.

The first time she spit (about 2 months ago) we had moved her to a backup 55 we have in our bedroom containing plecos only. She was very little back then, we were surprised she could even get pregnant that early. We waited til the fry got to a decent size, and I put one in the main tank and he has thrived. He's almost as big as his mom.

We are close to the 3rd week, and we have her in a breeder cage in the main tank. he is looking HUGE!

What determines the amount of fry they spit? Does the '2nd' time take in factor, or is it all about size? We are hoping for more, because they are just cool to watch, and we have the room for them. I'll post pictures when it's done!

In our 55 main tank, we have a yellow lab that is pregnant for the 2nd time. She is still a runt, though her first time she had 9.

The first time she spit (about 2 months ago) we had moved her to a backup 55 we have in our bedroom containing plecos only. She was very little back then, we were surprised she could even get pregnant that early. We waited til the fry got to a decent size, and I put one in the main tank and he has thrived. He's almost as big as his mom.

We are close to the 3rd week, and we have her in a breeder cage in the main tank. he is looking HUGE!

What determines the amount of fry they spit? Does the '2nd' time take in factor, or is it all about size? We are hoping for more, because they are just cool to watch, and we have the room for them. I'll post pictures when it's done!

Awesome, you have a pleco tank too :)

I don't own African cichlids but when I had my convicts breed, one of the females was tiny with a tiny spawn for her first time. The second time she hadnt really grown but she had twice as many as before. I think both factors play a big part in the amount of fry. Bigger fish obviously can produce and store more eggs before spawning and after the first time, egg production gets on a roll.

I hope so, we were wanting around 15 or so :) I have seen some on the internet that had around 25, and I know that's a long shot on this one. :) :fish2:

SHE SPIT! :D Well I stripped do to it being around 30 days, but same deal, right?

Well, they are free swimming.. :) I'm excited, this is her second litter.. and she spit out 17!! First litter was 9, she almost doubled it.

Here's some photos, I put them in a small container to strip, put her into the main tank (in a breeder holder,) and will release her out of that later today after she calms down.

The fry will go into my pleco only tank! :D

I have no cigars to pass out, :( sorry

We also had a Psuedo Socolofi that was pregnant..

The Psuedo was found to be pregnant when we had found out the lab was prego, and we isolated her in a breeder. However, she later appeared like she swallowed them, so we put her back into the main tank. Then last week my girlfriend noticed her acting pregnant, and we saw a live fish in her mouth. I was going to isolate her again and see if she would spit, however, she has been pregnant as long as the lab.

So I stripped her too, the first one came out and free swam around, and the others came out looking fine. We ended up with three (this is her first litter)

Here's some photos!

In the last 10,000 year African cichlids have become the best parents of the fish world. They really don't need a breeders box. They will spit their fry and as long as the fry have good places to hide they will grow fast.

I've read mixed reviews on whether to keep them in a breeder box.. however, I feed my Cichlids guppy fry... and when that happens the tank goes in crazy mode. I have an extra tank that doesn't do anything but host Plecos :), so to put the fry in there just makes me sleep easier :p

My motto is to only keep 1 out of each litter, eventually getting a 90 or 125. Grabbing mates for all the different kinds I have in my tank.

The fish store gives me a $1-$2 depending on the size, it's not all about the money though. I like to see them grow up, it's definitely cool.

Back
Top Bottom