1 gallon tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rastus

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello again.

My tank is looking great, aaaand now my mom wants one. She's dead set on the one gallon tank she has. Its got a "V" front with a half-octagon on the back. I'm having a lot of trouble looking for tips on stocking tanks that small. Everyone SAYS bettas are out, but I know a half dozen people that have kept them in gallon tanks/no filters and done PWCs every couple days.

I'd like to do a fish (or a couple small ones?) And some Java moss and/or fern. I'm willing to keep up with the maintenance if it's doable at all. I thought about shrimp or snails, but that's not really what she wants. Ideas?

It is really, really hard to filter a 1 gallon, just because of the size, and it offers fish very, very little swimming room. Do people do it? Yeah...but I doubt anyone on here is going to recommend it because fish need to swim and need enough water to diffuse their waste between water changes. There's just not enough room to do either of those thing in 1 gallon of water--and with the way companies measure their tanks, it's more than likely even less water than that which can be held by the tank.

What you might show her is some pictures of some Red Cherry Shrimp or the more exotic dwarf shrimp--Tiger, Blueberry, Crystal Reds, and see if she'll do those if you can explain to her that fish aren't going to fit. If she's dead set on fish, upgrade to a 2.5 to a 5 gallon, then she can have a betta or a small school of ember tetras, chili rasboras, or Celestial Pearl Danios. Maybe a Scarlet Badis. Go up to 5.5 and something like dwarf puffers are an option. *shrug*

If she insists...betta. Not recommended, probably not healthy--hard to fit a heater in a 1 gallon, and they need a heater, and probably 100% water changes daily or every other day, but if you're left with no options and she's going to do something either way, betta.

If she would be willing to upgrade to even a 2.5g tank, she would have more options. Personally, I can't think of a fish I would put in that tank. I have that 1g tank as well and I use it for shrimp. I used to use it for fish when I was younger, but they had very short lifespans because its just not a very good environment for them IME. The shrimp are actually really fun and active though. I also like hat rcs had live babies. It makes them even more fun IMO. :)

Does the fact that the tank has an under-gravel filter change anything?

Nope. Like I said, I have that tank. Its so small that the ugf can't actually do much. I rigged mine with a small sponge filter to make it suitable for the shrimp.
Even if the ugf worked great, there is still just not very much swimming room for a fish. Thats the bigger issue IMO.

Does the fact that the tank has an under-gravel filter change anything?

I have that same kit and the only thing the 1 gal is suitable for is as a PWC bucket. You could do shrimp, but in reality a 5 gal is the minimum to consider.

Please tell her that it would be inhumane to have any species in a 1 gallon tank.

Back
Top Bottom