1 Male Betta + 2 Female Bettas in Community Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tarkus2112

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I was at a wedding a few weeks ago and to make a long story short. I was the proud recipient of a new Betta. I gladly excepted because I figured I could give him a good home, but for the last 3 weeks he's been in a 1 gallon jar and I feel HORRIBLE. Surprisingly he seems happy, has no problem eating and has even started building bubble nests so I know he's ready to spawn.

My question is:

Is it possible to place him in my 55 gallon community setup. I feel that he deserves a nice big home and a couple lady friends. haha. :D I've read that if you place 1 male with 2 females he will divide his attention amongst them. This in turn keeps him from being aggressive towards the other fish in the tank. Is there any truth to this?

Oh yeah. I don't plan on keeping any "fancy finned" fish as I know male bettas often mistake them for other male bettas. Right now I'm thinking something like 8 corys, 12 tetras, a few loaches and that is as far as I've gotten. haha

Won't he breed with a female if you put him in there? Also I think you would have to gradually introduce him like you do when you want to have them spawn.

In a smaller tank, the answer would be "no way." In a 55g, you might be able to pull it off--presuming the tank is reasonably heavily planted so that there are lots of things breaking up sight lines.

The issue is not so much when you first put them together, but rather, after they breed. When bettas breed the male guards the eggs in the nest, and will kill anything (including female bettas) that come anywhere near the bubble nest while the eggs are still in it. However, a 55g tank should be large enough where the females are able to stay hidden far enough away that the male doesn't consider them a threat.

He will also, of course, kill any other species of fish in the tank that is dumb enough to not figure out to avoid going anywhere near the nest.

If you actually WANT your bettas to breed, then you can help condition the females by feeding them frozen meaty foods (frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp, etc.) or even better than that, live foods.

Actually, I would prefer if they didn't breed.

Or if they did, would any of the other fish in my tank eat the eggs?

--Would it be better just to place him in the 55 gallon community alone? The reason I was going to add the 2 females was to keep him occupied and to keep him from bothering my other fish. I'd rather not set up a special tank just for him, and I hate keeping him in the jar.

Be careful with males and females together. The male is a very agressive breeder, and if you don't remove the female after the breeding, he will most likely kill her. He wraps his body around her and squeezes the eggs out, but it can get pretty violent. :( Most breeders remove the female immediately afterwards.
I would advise against a 10 gallon with a male and females.

I've had a male and three female bettas in a 29g community with no problems. I have a lot of water movement in the tank due to the AC70 filter so I've never really seen breeding behavior in the tank.

I've found the females do better by themselves or in a group of three or more. Two together hasn't really worked out for me. One female picks on the other or both go after the male. Just my experience, so take it for what it's worth.

I don't think you'd have a problem putting those fish in a 55g. I think you'll appreciate the size and vitality of a betta with some room to swim. I can't bring myself to put a betta in anything smaller than a 10g anymore after seeing them in bigger tanks.

I agree with DK about male + females in a 10g being a bad idea.

If you want the betta to have low aggression... keep a male only. Females may distract him, but once they spawn he will become much more aggressive.

Would the males have to be separated after they hatch to keep from fighting each other and with Dad?

Well it's not like the babies hatch one day and all the baby males start fighting to the death the next day. So for a while at least all the babies could be kept together. I've never actually bred bettas myself so I couldn't tell you how long they could be kept together until aggression issues would begin.

I also have no idea about the aggressiveness of the dad towards the babies after they hatch.

Actually, I would prefer if they didn't breed.

Then don't keep males & females in the same tank.

Or if they did, would any of the other fish in my tank eat the eggs?
Again, the eggs are kept in a floating bubble nest that the male will guard to the death. So the only way any fish could eat those eggs would be if the fish is large enough and aggressive enough to kill a male betta.

--Would it be better just to place him in the 55 gallon community alone? The reason I was going to add the 2 females was to keep him occupied and to keep him from bothering my other fish. I'd rather not set up a special tank just for him, and I hate keeping him in the jar.
Bettas have very individual personalities, but in general, yes it is possible to keep bettas in community tanks without issues. I have kept both male and female bettas (never at the same time) in community tanks; most have worked out, but some haven't. Bettas are notorious for having very individual personalities--that is part of what makes them such great fish to keep. But the negative side of this is that when it comes to questions about how they get along with other species, there is simply no way of knowing until you try.

I will say that if you are going to put a betta (whether male or female) in a community tank with other fish, it is probably more likely to work out if you add the other fish first, and only later on add the betta. Because if you add the betta first, and the betta gets used to having all 55g all to himself (or herself), then when you add other fish down the road the betta might perceive them as "intruders" into his/her territory. Whereas if you plop a betta into a tank that already has other fish, then the betta is more likely to just accept the fact that those fish are part of the "environment" and that they don't pose any sort of threat/challenge.

Also keep in mind that when it comes to male bettas & community tanks, you want to avoid any fish that are fin-nippers, as they will find the long flowing fins of the male betta too much to resist. So rather than the male bullying other fish, you can have the opposite problems--other fish harassing the betta.

What about a 10g? Just for him and his lady friends.

Absolutely not. Because if they were to breed, the betta will kill the other two females, as a 10g is too small for them to get far enough away from the bubble nest to be no longer considered a threat.

If all you have right now is the male betta, then you really have two options. You could simply keep him alone in the 10g all to himself (or with non-fish tankmates that are unlikely to draw his ire, e.g. nerite snail or two, etc.). Or else you could keep him in your community tank, and if after a couple of days in there it doesn't seem to be working out, then put him in the 10g.

If you've already bought the females as well, then I would probably suggest keeping the male in the 10g and the two females in the community tank. And then down the road if you decided you ever did want to breed them, you could move the female of your choice into the 10g tank, wait for them to breed, and then immediately move her back to the community tank.

It's also worth noting that when it comes to females, it's best to keep either only one, or else a small group of 4-5 (sometimes called a harem). The reason is that the females will fight amongst themselves (not violently like males though) in order to establish a pecking order. When there are just two females, then there is the danger that the dominant female will harass the other one too much. Whereas in a small group, the dominant female will spend a little time harassing all of the others, but her attention will be divided between all of them so that none of them is on the receiving end of it all the time.

I've successfully kept male betta's in my community tanks, though I have never tried it in a 10. I had one that was fine in my 20 and it was actually one platy that used to chase him in circles instead of the of the other way around. I ended up moving the platy instead and he did fine for several years with a school of neons. Right now I have a male in a 10 gallon with two african dwarf frogs. Everyone leaves everyone else alone.

The females I usually keep in groups of three when I do it. I've never tried mixing the males and females in a larger tank but I've heard enough horror stories. Not to mention when they do end up breeding you eventually have to divide up all the fry.. to me it seems like it's a lot harder than breeding typical tropical fish that coexist well.

Like someone else said, though, they definitely all have their own personalities. I've had quite a few betta's over the years that people have given to me because they get tired of taking care of them. Some I have been fine adding to community tanks, the others are just jerks. ;)

Again, the eggs are kept in a floating bubble nest that the male will guard to the death. So the only way any fish could eat those eggs would be if the fish is large enough and aggressive enough to kill a male betta.

Yeah I realized that after I made the post. I guess I wasn't thinking clearly. Thanks for the good info though. :)

I've decided to set up a tank just for the Betta, he's the reason I'm getting back into fishkeeping so I figure he deserves his own space. I guess this is the start of MTS.

Like someone else said, though, they definitely all have their own personalities. I've had quite a few betta's over the years that people have given to me because they get tired of taking care of them. Some I have been fine adding to community tanks, the others are just jerks. ;)

Yeah mine is a punk. haha. Sometimes when I go to feed him or just check up on him, he stares at me and flares out his gills. It's pretty hilarious. I'm not sure if he thinks I'm another Betta, or if he just wants to fight. :lol:

lol MTS does rule! I've only been keeping fish since may and i already have 6 tanks running and 1 more in storage for a future project lol

but i aswell am keeping a betta in a community tank. its a 20gal with 1 crowntail, zebra danios, glowlight tetras, neon tetras and amano shrimp. everyone is fine!

It just depends on the betta! I have 3 bettas that I would never put with anything else, even snails, they are just too fiesty! They can't even wait for me to feed them before they are jumping out of the water at me! But then I have one mellow one who only flares for the hand mirror, and the other ones flare at my finger.

A 55 gallon with 1 male n 2 female should be fine that one yell of a big tank for 3 small lilo fish. Enough swimming space for all 3 betta to swim freely but the male will Chase the female if he spot them other than that its fine.

As breeding goes I would remove the pair into a smaller tank, 5.5 gallon is fine n not only that its make feeding so much easier.

A 55 gallon with 1 male n 2 female should be fine that one yell of a big tank for 3 small lilo fish. Enough swimming space for all 3 betta to swim freely but the male will Chase the female if he spot them other than that its fine.

As breeding goes I would remove the pair into a smaller tank, 5.5 gallon is fine n not only that its make feeding so much easier.

just make sure that you put lots of hiding places...just in case! :)

Back
Top Bottom