10 day vacation...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tjara03

Aquarium Advice Freak
im goin on vacation for about 10 days at the end of december. whats the best route to keep my fish alive. get someone to feed them? or get an auto feeder? TIA!!

I would get someone trustworthy, that understands the concept of not overdoing it.

thats what i would like but i dont think i can get someone who really knows what to do...

And then hide all the other food you have in the freezer so they can't find any more.

Getting a tank sitter is the best way to go. i was watching my friends tank and about halfway through his 2 week vacation his return pump went.. If i was not checking his tank daily he would have probably come home to a mess.
Unless you have an auto top off they will also need to top off the tank for you.
Crabs has a great idea there, only leave enough and write down what and when to do it.

I had a tank sitter for a whole 4 days, when I returned my house was flooded because they over filled the top offs, I had dead fish because he put so much unsalted water in that it diluted the salt to the point of causing death amoung my fish...

I would strongly suggest paying a aquarium store to do it for you. That is my plan in the future.

There ya have it then, food portions laid out, fresh water for topoffs available (I got high and low lines drawn on my sump glass), and a phone number to reach you just in case.

Jploman, sorry about your experience, but only 4 days away and I'm thinking your fish would have been fine without the sitter in that case. I've done 7 days easily twice.

I would set out the food ammount that you would like to be fed each day. Also if you don't already have one setup, a water topoff management system is something you should look into. I have a 5 gal bucket of r/o water that sits above my tank and I drip about a drop a second or so into the display. This basic system only needs to be filled up about once a week.

Back
Top Bottom