10 gal newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That hood you recommended to me is the one I already had, and I just have the lights that came with it right now. As you can see there's no lettering on them at all, and the box just says incandescent hood with two 15 watt light bulbs.

Attachments

• image-1085376591.jpg
    image-1085376591.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 32
  • image-3543015730.jpg
    image-3543015730.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 41
Great picture's. Those light bulbs will not grow squat, so what I recommend is go buy 2 x 13-15 watt 6500k CFL bulbs from Lowe's, Home-Depot, etc. and then you can grow some nice plant's.

I would recommend not getting the plant's until you get the bulbs. :)

Great picture's. Those light bulbs will not grow squat, so what I recommend is go buy 2 x 13-15 watt 6500k CFL bulbs from Lowe's, Home-Depot, etc. and then you can grow some nice plant's.

I would recommend not getting the plant's until you get the bulbs. :)

Oh I know I'm not ready for the plants yet for sure >.< I will check out lowe's today, thanks! On a side note, do you know if they carry ammonia as well? Somebody recommended ace hardware's janitorial strength, but the ace near my house closed down.....

Is there anything I have to do to prep the plants themselves before putting them in my tank? And will they be okay with the ammonia levels during cycling? I've read a lot on this forum that plants help the cycle, but I also read they don't like too much ammonia.....

I personally wouldn't add the plant's until you stopped adding ammonia. As far as prepping the plant's there's nothing really to do besides cut off the old dead/dying leaves.

Okay, thank you so much for all your help!

Another thing: where do you normally get your plants? Do you order them online, go to petsmart/ petco/ other chains, or mom and pop lfs?

All of the above! LOL

The cheapest way is to go here AA For Sale and post a wanted add for free or cheap plants. All you have to do is pay the shipping.

The cheap way is to go to petsmart, petco, walmart, etc. and look for plant bulbs in the aquatic section. They're about $5 for $20 worth of plants once the bulbs grow.

The last way is to look for full grown plants for sale or put up a wanted add on the above link. :)

With the light bulbs I recommended and root tabs they should sprout in a week and be lush and full in 3 week's.

Okay. Thank you so much for all your help! I think i will do a mix of the bulbs and sprouted plants, the bulbs look like they end up as only background plants, some of the crypts looked like good foreground plants.

Back
Top Bottom