10 gal planted dirt tank, please advise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

molly100a

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all,

I decided to try this out. Today is day 1 of my 10gal dirt tank, 1.5 -2 inchs of Miricle Grow Organic Potting Soil mixed with crushed oyster shells and topped off with 1-1.5 inch of small gravel. Currently I have several amazon swords, wisteria, java moss, anubus nana and sag. One male betta, a aquaclear 30 with just the sponge and some biomedia from my 56gal cycled tank and a small power head to help with the circulation. The temp is between 78 - 80 with a 24watt shop light. I tested the PH at 7.8, Ammo at 0. Tomorrow I will test again. After a few hours the tank started to cloud up, I assume this will clear up. Please let me know if I'm doing anythig wrong or what you think.

Attachments

• 10 gal dirt 2.jpg
    10 gal dirt 2.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 74
  • 10gal dirt 1.jpg
    10gal dirt 1.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 69
Did you sift the soil when you first added it? If you didn't mineralize the soil at first I think you get ammonia spikes, I might be wrong though.

Some people have issues with massive Ammonia spikes if you didin't soak the Dirt in a bucket to release all of the trapped gases inside. You might get an Algae bloom in a few days, so watch for that. But generally they subside as the plants out-compete the algae.

I have two dirt tanks and I didn't mineralize the potting soil both times. Lots of floating plants help suck up the extra nutrients in the beginning because they have access to the co2 in the air around the tank. You can remove them after a few months. You have to be careful of toxic gas build up. Occasionally a few gas bubbles will be released from the substrate but unless they smell like rotten eggs there is nothing to worry about. You can poke your substrate with a stick every so often to stop build up or plant plants that have extensive root systems (like swords) that as they grow the roots move to dirt and release the gas.
To help with keeping ammonia down (if you get any spikes, I did not) heavily planting the tank in the beginning helps to use up the ammonia. It also helps prevent algae/algae blooms because there are so many plants competing for the nutrients. You don't need to start dosing any ferts until your plants start showing signs of deficiencies.

I mineralize the soil in all of my setups, the other bonus is that you can mix clay and some other nutrients in the soil while its being set up.

But yeah, I wouldn't worry too much about using regular potting soil, as mentioned above you might have an algae bloom but after a few weeks the organics will be gone and things should settle down, you shouldn't have a massive ammonia spike unless there is a ton of organics in there.

Back
Top Bottom