10 gallon aquarium stock suggestions and help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jumbo neon tetras, or lamp eye tetra? Help!

Hi, I have a 10 gallon fish tank, and I want to add 5-8 of these, but I can't decide on which of these two, which one is better for a 10 gallon!
Jumbo neon tetras
Lamp eye tetra
Thank you:), also, anything on their behavior, anything about hem I need to know, any experiences that you have had, thanks:)

IMO Lampeye tetras are too large. Many feel neons are too active for a 10g but I'm not one of them. But I would get regular or even small neons since jumbo neons are alot older and usually more expensive. Harliquen Rasboras and Endlers are also good choices for a 10g.

IMO Lampeye tetras are too large. Many feel neons are too active for a 10g but I'm not one of them. But I would get regular or even small neons since jumbo neons are alot older and usually more expensive. Harliquen Rasboras and Endlers are also good choices for a 10g.

I get all my fish from petsmart, and unfortunately, they only sell jumbo neons, I'll look up the rays boras and endless on their website, thanks:)

You could do a nice nano fish tank and keep more of a variety then.
Something like
A school of 8 ember tetra,celestial pearl danios or chilli rasbora
1 scarlet badis
6 pygmy cory
Just something to look into :)

I get all my fish from petsmart, and unfortunately, they only sell jumbo neons, I'll look up the rays boras and endless on their website, thanks:)

But usually the sign says Jumbo Neons and they are actually not full grown. And the ones I've gotten are quite normal sized as adults.

Skip the Lamp Eyes. Neons might be ok, but Embers are better if you can find them. PSmart sometimes carries Espei Rasbora. They stay small also. Glowlights are nice. Look great with black sand and live plants.

Consider doing a Cherry Shrimp tank instead :)
I love mine. They breed easily.

Hey, some questions:)

So, my black moor moved to the 50 gallon for now. Is this a good idea for a 10 gallon?
5-8 neon tetras
4 black kuhli loaches( they can be 4 inches max so they can be in a 10 gallon!)
3 or four African dwarf frogs
2 otocinclus
2 mystery( apple snails)
If I can leave something out it would be the snails
Also 8 ghost shrimp
Any advice or things I need to know about these fish, thanks:). I also do weekly water changes and have 2 10 gallon filters, thanks

If you're really set on the loaches I'd say drop the African dwarf frogs. What you have listed is a whole lot of fish for a little 10 gallon. I have 6 cardinal tetras and 3 cories and I think my 10 gallon looks completely full. I would do either the frogs or the loaches, both is just too many fish.

Ok, so I guess I'll drop the frogs, the neons would be the only fish, the rest are bottom dwellers, thanks

So, my black moor moved to the 50 gallon for now. Is this a good idea for a 10 gallon?
5-8 neon tetras
4 black kuhli loaches( they can be 4 inches max so they can be in a 10 gallon!)
3 or four African dwarf frogs
2 otocinclus
2 mystery( apple snails)
If I can leave something out it would be the snails
Also 8 ghost shrimp
Any advice or things I need to know about these fish, thanks:). I also do weekly water changes and have 2 10 gallon filters, thanks

If you get Otos skip the Snails. Too many Algae Eaters in a small tank.

Kuhlis prefer to bury themselves so Sand is best. Put sponges over the intake to keep sand out of filters. 2 HOB might create too much current in a small tank.

I would do 6 Neons
3 Amano Shrimp or 4 Ghost
3 Otos and stop

No Kuhlis till you see how your tests are running.
No Otos till you have Algae on walls.

Don't get your heart set on stock till you see how tank is doing and what is available AND healthy.

If you get Otos skip the Snails. Too many Algae Eaters in a small tank.

Kuhlis prefer to bury themselves so Sand is best. Put sponges over the intake to keep sand out of filters. 2 HOB might create too much current in a small tank.

I would do 6 Neons
3 Amano Shrimp or 4 Ghost
3 Otos and stop

No Kuhlis till you see how your tests are running.
No Otos till you have Algae on walls.

Don't get your heart set on stock till you see how tank is doing and what is available AND healthy.

Ok, my Tests are excellent, everything good, so my loaches would do good
I also feed algae wafers, so that wouldnt help?

Ok, my Tests are excellent, everything good, so my loaches would do good
I also feed algae wafers, so that wouldnt help?

Otos are Wild Caught. They are fragile when you first get them. They won't always eat Algae wafers at first. I keep a clean tank , but I don't wipe the back wall when I clean so there is always a bit of natural grazing for my Otos.

Loaches eat flake, frozen and Shrimp Pellets.

Back
Top Bottom