10 gallon guppy tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Once I get my snake a bigger home... i am going to turn my 10 gallon into a guppy tank or just buy a 10 gallon setup.. i haven't decided yet.. but anyway, i want guppies because i will be able to feed the fry to my angels in my big tank. I have never really kept guppies before.. so any advice will be appreciated.. and what is a good ratio of male to female i should stick in this tank? Im thinking 5 females and 5 males would be good... of course i will be fishless cycling with media from my 55 gallon when the time comes. I may have some oto's in there as well to help with algae control and some Java fern... any other suggestions for this tank? I know im going to keep it a bit overstocked but i figure that water changes will be pretty easy in such a small tank... i change my betta's water 100% each week in his 1 gallon.

Thanks in advance! :D

I'd personally put 2 females to each male, of course you might end up with tons more fry that way. But if you plan on using them for feeders that will work out good. I'd keep the guppies and the otos on their own, maybe put some cory's in there for their cute activity.

well just as an occasional treat... whenever they breed... i really like the males colors.. and of course there will be cories... i love cories.. LOL.

That 10 gal will be a fry making factory. Guppies reproduce like rabbits. I'm with Zagz, a 2 to 1 ratio should be good.

So do I, my panda cories with the bands on their eyes are so hilarious. They have some very pretty female guppies out there too.

cool.. so im gonna get like 6 females and 3 males instead and then the fry will get netted into the big tank!

Having had a 35gal hex setup as a Guppies species tank once upon a time,
I'd recommend more like a 3-4 female to 1 male ratio.

Man was that a interesting tank...
We must'a had at any one time atleast 50-80+ adults/sub-adults and numerous juvies and fry, the tank and fish were healthy as could be.
We let the law of "Survival of the fittest" rule in that tank, no breeding traps/nets, just lots of Java Moss and plants.
Only the strong survived to breed.

Here is all you need to know. I had guppies since I was 12 on and off between my tank "career" .... lets start now shall we?

Set up: 10 gallon. black gravel with java moss on the bottom all over the bottom. (looks cool) ..... Not heavy. Just little little pieces, its gonna grow out.

Fitler: Yes.
Light: Yes.
Food: Flakes.

The ratio that works for me very very well is 1 male for 4 females. 1 male needs about 10 gallons so you should get one of those Super Fancy Males, they are bigger and have more colors. Females get what ever kind you like currently I got 2 blk ones, a red one and a tiger tail dotted one. Another thing I noticed is if you have more then one male in a big tank after a while your gonna be left with one, sad to say, the other males will die and their fins will be nipped till they do. I never had more then on male in a ten gallon live for more then 2 months (person experience, dont know about you guys)

Diffuctly leval: 2-10 ..... keeping the light on helps the moss spread and the moss provides hideing at birth, when they feed you could catch them and feed them to your angels. Other then that the blk gravels with the green moss looks really nice and its not gonna be a "breading" tank looking all bummy without gravel and plants.

Any questions fell free to ask.

ChileRelleno said:
Having had a 35gal hex setup as a Guppies species tank once upon a time,
I'd recommend more like a 3-4 female to 1 male ratio.

Man was that a interesting tank...
We must'a had at any one time atleast 50-80+ adults/sub-adults and numerous juvies and fry, the tank and fish were healthy as could be.
We let the law of "Survival of the fittest" rule in that tank, no breeding traps/nets, just lots of Java Moss and plants.
Only the strong survived to breed.

I would like to stop having a designated breeding set-up as well (just started and currently only one lady in expectations) and remodel my 2 x 10 G into planted Guppy shag-.. aehh..shacks :)

What kind of filter did you use ? Sponge or HOB ?
And what did you feed the fry ?
Any other fish in your set up , like to clean the gravel ?

Thanks,
Volker

Guppies are dumb, provide lots of hiding places for the fry or net them out quickly. My guppy tank back home has 7 females and 5 males and none of the babies have survived to reach maturity in the past few years. Not a problem for our situation but some prefer to have as many fry as possible survive.

Not only dumb but also mean.
I had one yellow female, called her Blondie, she was harrassed and attack by another female till she was missing half her fins. I separated her and she kinda recovered but in the end still died.

For the first female that was pregnant, we had her isolated and offered lots of hidding spaces and still no fry survived.
My wife was so pissed, she wanted to flush the whole tank :)

With the current female we are so paranoid, we put her in the breeder trap every night.
Now for over a week... guess she just wants to piss us off :roll:

It was a 'species' tank, nothing but guppies.
35gal hex, AC300 (nothing over the uptake, if a fry got too close he got sucked up), Hagen 200watt heater, plastic plants and live Java moss, small natural river pebble substrate.
The only concession we made to the fry was to finely grind flakefood and dump it into the filter outflow so as to get it down to the bottom level of the tank.

i currently have a 5 gallon guppies tank which is becoming a 10 in a few days. i have 2 males and a crapload of females. i currently remove the fry with a birthing thingy so i dont need to worry about catching them later and the survival of the fittest thing. i have about 12 guppies in there ranging from 1-3 months and about 15-20 2 week old guppies in a birthing holder. i also have 2 ottos, 1 panda cory and a few gohst shrimp all doing very well. it is a sand substrate and i have some plants all around the outside of the tank to help with the females if they want to hide. i have never had any trouble with agression and all the babies have always been healthy the only problem is that it is almost impossible to get pure strain guppies. i will put a pic of some of the males that have grown up in my tank.

mr funktastic said:
i currently have a 5 gallon guppies tank which is becoming a 10 in a few days. i have 2 males and a crapload of females. i currently remove the fry with a birthing thingy so i dont need to worry about catching them later and the survival of the fittest thing. i have about 12 guppies in there ranging from 1-3 months and about 15-20 2 week old guppies in a birthing holder. i also have 2 ottos, 1 panda cory and a few gohst shrimp all doing very well. it is a sand substrate and i have some plants all around the outside of the tank to help with the females if they want to hide. i have never had any trouble with agression and all the babies have always been healthy the only problem is that it is almost impossible to get pure strain guppies. i will put a pic of some of the males that have grown up in my tank.

Thats a crap loada fish in a 5 gallon! good thing your moving up to a 10.. LOL.

that is alot of fish i know but they are all small because they are only a few months old. and i might actually be changing it tonight to the 10 gallon. even though it is small the fish sre all doing really good and is a guppy making factory.

I hate guppies lol.

The feamles with yellow tails always die, they constantly brred, when they have babies and expect them to have babies the make you wait 6 months. Mine had them when i wasnt lloking. She had about 20, stopped for 10 minutes and reloaded, shot 10 more out. It was a pain in the a$$ to get them out of the breeder trap. I put her back in just in case she had more. She ticked me off by having 1 last baby so i had to do it all over again for one baby.

And when you dont expect them to have babies they have 50 when you arent looking! I had mine for 2 weeks and they showed no sign of being pregnant, then all of a sudden i found 5 little babies swimming around.

Back
Top Bottom