10 Gallon Nano Reef help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nkim1994

Aquarium Advice Regular
Started Nano 10 gal!

So I just finished curing my rock, I got 8lbs of Fiji dry Rock from BRS and 1lb of live rock to seed the dry rock I cured in the bucket heater and power head.

The rock is cycled b/c I have 0,0,10, though going to test the water bc I just put it in the new tank!

I read that rock is cured when the Nitrates stopped rising, which mine did. I saw it in a BRS video. Is this accurate? I havent cured Live Rock before.

I have a evo quad clip light 20x3 Watt light. Should I keep this light on b/c I spot somehow some coraline algae survived the darkness... but I heard algae outbreaks o.o What corals will this sustain?

Also, I dont have a fish in there, but do I need to dose the tank with Ammonia like my FW when I set it up? I dont want the BB to die.

Looks like my rock has some algae stuff from the buckets already though hmm.. but any helps is thanks!

When should I add a CUC, what do you recommend for a 10 gal?

Thanks for help if you have questions feel free to ask!

Attachments

• 12398966_980418818671559_1264909331_n.jpg
    12398966_980418818671559_1264909331_n.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 78
Cycle it as you would a freshwater dose ammonia to 2ppm then is should clear that in 24 hours and needs to do that for 3 consecutive days dosing to 2ppm each day.

Once you there do a large waterchange.

I would then add a couple of hermits but also put a few pellets in with them so they have a food source and then leave the tank another week before you add any further stock.

Corals I would give it another couple of weeks on that and stay simple with mushrooms and soft corals.

You will get algae blooms it's all part of the tank maturing if you do get much algae add a couple of turbo snails but the main cause of algae is nutrients so keep your nitrates and phosphates in check and it will keep the algae to a minimum.

Remember nothing good happens fast in the marine keeping world

Enjoy :)

Cycle it as you would a freshwater dose ammonia to 2ppm then is should clear that in 24 hours and needs to do that for 3 consecutive days dosing to 2ppm each day.

Once you there do a large waterchange.

I would then add a couple of hermits but also put a few pellets in with them so they have a food source and then leave the tank another week before you add any further stock.

Corals I would give it another couple of weeks on that and stay simple with mushrooms and soft corals.

You will get algae blooms it's all part of the tank maturing if you do get much algae add a couple of turbo snails but the main cause of algae is nutrients so keep your nitrates and phosphates in check and it will keep the algae to a minimum.

Remember nothing good happens fast in the marine keeping world

Enjoy :)

Thanks for the reply! My rock actually cycled while I cured it.

Been checking the water every few days, and the dry rock spiked ammo to 7 PPM by 12/7 by 12/16 it went to 0ppm Nitrite 4.5 mg/lNO2 was at a steady 5mg/l for time in between NO3 was 50 mg/l

So 12/21
0,0,25mg/l pH 8.3 sal, 1.24 100% WC

I will check the water when I get home again, but I'll dose to 2ppm, and see if its gone in 24hours to see if everything is fully cycled! Oh will dosing that high kill my coraline algae?

If it does do you think im good to add like a clown fish?

Thanks

Should be fine and coraline will always come back but if the system ready it will easily deal with it.

Do a large waterchange before adding any stock so change the water leave a few hours then check to make sure all is well before adding anything :)

Back
Top Bottom