10 gallon ocellaris tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pcas3

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello I've recently acquired a 10 gallon tank. I have another very successful FW tank. For my new tank I plan on making saltwater with two ocellaris clowns. The hardware I'm using is a 30-45 gallon filter, a rio nano protein skimmer, a koralia nano power head. All I am asking is should I get corals or anemone and what lighting should I use. Also a double check of my hardware would be appreciated.

Only thing I would change is the tank. Petcos having a dollar per gallon sale in a few days, so why not pick up a 20 long and set up a proper home for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Okay so with the current stock. It sounds good but you don't have to have a protein skimmer in that small of a tank. Weekly water changes will do the job of maintaining proper levels.

What size of power head do you have?

And soft corals in a tank like that are good, zoas, mushrooms etc..

You do not want to go with an anemone so soon. Anemones are for well established tanks and should not be added within the first 6-8 months.

As far as lighting looking into a nice T5 fixture or an LED system of eBay.

Thanks for the response Frankie. I haven't purchased anything yet except the tank and filter. So your saying I won't need a protein skimmer? And what size power head would you recommend?

I would recommend the Hydor 420? I can't remember if that's correct. But that power head will be suitable.

And a protein skimmer in a nano isn't a must but I've seen many thrive without one and the people just do water changes. And get a reef master kit to check levels

Ok and any other suggestions on lighting? $300 for a lighting system is a little out of my price range?

A par38 from reefkoi or the like would be $75-100

All I want is something that would support basic corals and still look nice

Oh right forgot op wanted a nem. Honestly nems are kinda overrated IMO. Your clowns may not even host it. Buy coral it's so much better haha. Just my "unbiased" *wink* opinion :)

Then the reef koi bulb is a great option, $80 last time I checked and you can use a architects desk lamp for $7 if you don't want to spend the $30 on a goose neck

What about panorama pro LED's? Does anyone know if they are decent?

Good price on the wave point led

Yeah I have the small one on my pico tank and mushrooms and zoas love it

Just a question. If I don't have access to live rock what should in put in my tank? Would I need a protein skimmer then?

You can use dry rock or base rock which you can order online. On a 10 no you don't need a skimmer, weekly wc's are enough to maintain params assuming you stock responsibly.

Bigred is two tank bred ocellaris clowns good in your opinion?

Back
Top Bottom