10 Gallon Planted Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfool58

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 10 gallon tank, I want some RCS, Endlers Livebearers, & an Assassain Snail. I want low-medium light plants, don't really wanna use co2. Anubias, Java Ferns, Ludwigias, maybe some dwarf baby tears.. If that's possible.. I have an AquaTech 5-15 filter.. I also have a nice piece of Malaysian driftwood. What would be the best Substrate? & How many plants are too many plants?

Your plant list sounds fine except for baby tears which really don't do well without co2 and lots of substrate nutriens. Java ferns and anubia can't. E burried so the substrate doesn't matter and must ludwigias do fine with just sand or gravel as long as it is fine enough and you can add root tabs if they arent doing good. With those plants(other than baby tears) you don't need a high nutrient substrate.

M1k3y_gumi said:
Your plant list sounds fine except for baby tears which really don't do well without co2 and lots of substrate nutriens. Java ferns and anubia can't. E burried so the substrate doesn't matter and must ludwigias do fine with just sand or gravel as long as it is fine enough and you can add root tabs if they arent doing good. With those plants(other than baby tears) you don't need a high nutrient substrate.

I thought they could be buried parts of them.. Well anyways, if those 2 can't be buried what other plants should I use? Cause if only the Ludwigias are In the ground.. The tank would sorta look empty IMO. & idk if the baby tears are the grassy looking plant that spread horizontal. If not is there anything that looks like that I could use?

fishfool58 said:
I have a 10 gallon tank, I want some RCS, Endlers Livebearers, & an Assassain Snail. I want low-medium light plants, don't really wanna use co2. Anubias, Java Ferns, Ludwigias, maybe some dwarf baby tears.. If that's possible.. I have an AquaTech 5-15 filter.. I also have a nice piece of Malaysian driftwood. What would be the best Substrate? & How many plants are too many plants?

If you wanna save money, you can start with only a few plants and try to propagate them. Ludwigia is an easy plant to do that with. You can plant Anubias in the ground (I have some right now) as long as the rhizome is not covered. I've tries Java Fern not on driftwood but it's never worked out too well for me. Baby tears will most likely die with your setup (which is still just a fine setup!).

My favorite plant-specific substrate is Flourite. Eco-Complete Flora is good too. Flourite will make your water cloudy as all get out if you don't wash it a few times.

Predfan27 said:
If you wanna save money, you can start with only a few plants and try to propagate them. Ludwigia is an easy plant to do that with. You can plant Anubias in the ground (I have some right now) as long as the rhizome is not covered. I've tries Java Fern not on driftwood but it's never worked out too well for me. Baby tears will most likely die with your setup (which is still just a fine setup!).

My favorite plant-specific substrate is Flourite. Eco-Complete Flora is good too. Flourite will make your water cloudy as all get out if you don't wash it a few times.

Alright, I've gotten a few different answers on substrate, do I need gravel on top of the flourite? & I'd kinda like 1-2 more plants if possible. Anubias, Java fern, & ludwigia, is all I have at the moment.. But I've got them in my 75 gal until I get substrate, in a day or two..

I really like the plant that looks like grass that grows horizontal.. I'm not sure if it's baby tears.. If it is.. Is there another plant that will work for me & do that?

fishfool58 said:
Alright, I've gotten a few different answers on substrate, do I need gravel on top of the flourite? & I'd kinda like 1-2 more plants if possible. Anubias, Java fern, & ludwigia, is all I have at the moment.. But I've got them in my 75 gal until I get substrate, in a day or two..

You won't need gravel on top. Some Crypts would be nice in there and do fine in low light conditions.

Predfan27 said:
You won't need gravel on top. Some Crypts would be nice in there and do fine in low light conditions.

Okay, flourite only then. Oh yeah. Forgot about that, I do want that one.. I really like the plant that's grass like that spreads horizontal.. If that is baby tears, is there a similar plant that looks like it?

Predfan27 said:
That's a great option. Also some dwarf sag. Although they may not propagate rapidly without light/co2.

So the Pygmy chain sword should do fine? & if I have to I'd get a co2, but idk how much work it actually is.. Or how expensive..

fishfool58 said:
So the Pygmy chain sword should do fine? & if I have to I'd get a co2, but idk how much work it actually is.. Or how expensive..

I'm working on DIY CO2. I'll let you know how it goes. But to be honest you don't need CO2 with low lighting. Crypts also propagate but can be a little bigger than what you may want for a carpet.

I have Pygmy chain sword. I currently don't use Co2 and it's carpeting just fine.

I did have Co2 but then suffered from a bad algae problem so I ditched it until I feel I need it.

It's a balancing act between lights, ferts and Co2. I've currently got the hang of the lights vs ferts but don't have enough light to make use of Co2 at the minute.

Yes growth is slower but growth is growth.

Jon

jondamon said:
I have Pygmy chain sword. I currently don't use Co2 and it's carpeting just fine.

I did have Co2 but then suffered from a bad algae problem so I ditched it until I feel I need it.

It's a balancing act between lights, ferts and Co2. I've currently got the hang of the lights vs ferts but don't have enough light to make use of Co2 at the minute.

Jon

Well put Jon.

Predfan27 said:
Well put Jon.

Thanks.

Just thought I'd share how my tank looks.

It's a 50g with 2x30w T8 6700k

Crypts, swords, Anubias.

image-248474581.jpg

This is the Pygmy chain sword.
image-427066552.jpg

Jon

jondamon said:

Jon

Sounds good, I shall use that & crypts.. :) thanks guys! I'll take slow growth over algae problems.. :) thanks.

Predfan27 said:
I'm working on DIY CO2. I'll let you know how it goes. But to be honest you don't need CO2 with low lighting. Crypts also propagate but can be a little bigger than what you may want for a carpet.

Thanks that would be cool.. I hope it works, & a friend of mine joked.. Said if i wanted co2, but not the setup exhales through a straw in my tank.. That I'd put co2 in it.. Lol.

Algae is something you generally have to deal with initially when you setup a planted tank.

Because you have to find that balance of ferts vs lights vs plant growth.

In my 50g I use EASYLIFE PROFITO and EASYLIFE KALIUM. I try to maintain 10ppm of nitrates. I dose 5ml of each fert every 2days. Instead of 20ml once a week which was also contributing to my algae.

Jon

Fore ground plants like baby tear micro swor dwarf hair brass etc. are more fussy than other plants so like mentioned they will probably grow slower with ought co2 or light. Dwarf sag is in my opinion the easiest to grow but is not quite as carpet like. Low light tends to cause fore ground plants to grow vertically rather than horizontally but I suppose you could make it work with trimming and such.

Back
Top Bottom