10 Gallon Planted Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Desacrator

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Alright so I have started a 10 gal tank. By June this year it will be a 20 gal. All I have got is 1 goldfish and a ton of plants. Any recommendation on how I should fertizile/CO2? Like what brands etc.

img_1198758_0_cdfc499c527658b6bf506a0d5af19ab9.jpg

img_1198758_1_465dc9b30d74f6b31fe6b025cfa441dd.jpg

This can be moved to the right section. I wasn't paying attenetion when I made this thread. +/

First, nice tank!

I can't tell what kind of plants you have, are those swords? If they are you don't need to go too much overboard.

For a low tech approach you could probably:
-Use fluorish excel (by seachem) as a source of carbon (acts like CO2)
- Seachem fluorish for macros and micros
-CO2 alternative: take a look at DYI yeast CO2 systems, this will be cheaper than fluorish excel but a lot more time consuming.

The high tech approach (its not cheap):
-I don't think you need this for your current plants but just for the sake of giving you more options
- This approach will let you keep a wider variety of plants.
-You will need to upgrade your lights to 2-3wpg.
-Dry fertilizers
-Pressurized CO2 system.

The key is finding the right balance. Light is the fuel, CO2 is the building blocks and macronutrients/micronutrients are like for plants what vitamins are to us. If any of these factors becomes limiting the result is usually poor plant health and probably algae.
I would recommend the low tech-approach with liquid fertz.

The plants in your photos look much like Ribbons which aren't truly aquatic and will probably eventually die. What type of lighting do you have? There are a lot of plant options out there that should be fairly easy to keep in a 10 gallon depending on your lighting. What fertz you need really depends on what type of plants you have but like Ximena mentioned, Seachem Flourish Comprehensive is always a great place to start.

not sure of any of this planted talk but ive seen that dragon before, he's pretty darn cool IMO lol

Unfortunately the plants are not aquatic as mentioned above. They will not survive submerged in the tank. They will turn yellow, rot, and die.

PlantGeek.net - Dracena sanderiana

Petsmart sells these marked as aquatic plants but they are mislabeled. You might be able to take them back and get a refund.

They will last for a time if you leave them, but it is important to get rid of them when they start rotting.

I am going to the store today to return the ribbons and another plant i bought(also not aquatic). I am gonna try to get more swords and maybe another two anubias

I transplanted the two amazons in front from my 37 gallon as they weren't doing so hot. I got 2 new Amazon Swords(totally ripped off. The package says 2-4 plants but I only got 1). So I got 1 new Anubia and 2 Amazon Swords. Total - 3 Anubias, 4 Amazon Swords. I plan on getting 2-3 more Amazon Swords.

This is from today.

img_1199237_0_a15bccae25d8e514161ad459b3910b33.jpg

Just FYI, swords get huge... they will outgrow the 10 gal in short order if there is a decent amount of light over the tank.

It looks much better though... glad they took the non-aquatics back!

I have had those two in front for 6 months and they have barely grown. It might be a light issue but as of now they kinda suck.

I am currently watching my angelfish destroying my anubia in the 27gal. That plant was doing great before the angelfish started getting it on. +/

I moved Jeffrey to the big tank beacsue the Angels have laid eggs. The third pic is the eggs in Jeffery's tank(the 10 gallon). Ihave the new bulb for the tank but I need to get a florescent hood.

img_1200141_0_7845178de31f3f4f7c7caf2312a8ed38.jpg

img_1200141_1_96aa12484bc830b76a666f289d9b2580.jpg

img_1200141_2_1330526e9320ec5b62bf42902eeaeebd.jpg

img_1200141_3_d7366d1534d7fbf7c2724ab24ea8c891.jpg

Back
Top Bottom