10 gallon reef process

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jhawk__

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've had a 10 gallon fowlr set up for over a year and finally got myself to purchase a worthy light and make the jump to reef. I'm not very experienced with this yet though and need some help. Here's what I've got so far.

Tank: 10 gal
Lighting: Marineland led reef capable light
Filtration: Aqueon quiet flow power filter 10/20
Power head: not sure exact name but it's adjustable up to 160gph and it is a self rotating one(the head moves back and worth)

8-10 lbs live rock
10 lbs live sand

Stock:
X1 oc clown (been in for over a year)
X1 yellow tail damsel (been in for 2 weeks)
X1 coral banded shrimp
5-7 hermit crabs
3 snails

Coral:
X1 Duncan

I mostly just need help picking out corals and about caring for them and supplements. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415058260.770479.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415058288.146739.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415058319.992046.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Is that a problem?

Is that a problem?

Depending on species, Damsels could reach 5"+, and really need to be in at least a 30g. Hopefully where you got it will take it back. Not trying to sound rude but a little more research before buying fish would help both you and the fish.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you.

clowns are supposed to be in a minimum of 30 gallons and are also part of the damsel family. the yellow tail also needs a minimum of 30 gallons. This is due to many factors including size, territory, and bioload. Honestly neither fish are suitable for a 10 gallon.

I have heard of coral banded shrimp going bad, but who knows bout that. You should check live aquaria nano fish for fish that would work in a 10 gallon.

I also beleive that light will need upgrading to support corals

Ok a 10 gal might not be the best option for them. The clown is for sure staying as I've DEFINITELY done my research and know people even keep pairs in 10's. The yellow tail is less than an inch and if he becomes a problem or I see that he is not happy, he will be removed. I'm not here to get bashed by the fish police, I know how to keep a tank up and running. I've had fresh and salt tanks for 6+ yrs.

I'm here to get help coral wise, cause I'm very inexperienced with that.

The marineland light I bought off Amazon was on sale for $100, regular like $200+. I read tons of reviews from multiple websites/sources and it can support low-medium light corals. Everyone had nothing bad to say about it.

you came looking for advice.. i am simply giving you advice. yes people keep clowns in 10 gallons, it doesnt make it right or any less cruel to the fish. It does not have the proper swimming room and can affect its health. The damsel will grow extremely aggressive in such a small tank especially with another damselfish.

that light could maybe support some softies and maybe lps. Look into better lighting, you can par38 bulb from rapidled for around 80 dollars, which will grow alot of coral.

Jhawk if the damsel was added last and the clown has his territory claimed then the damsel shouldnt be a problem. Someone with a 5g nano had both in a reef. Ive noticed this forum either wants you to spend a ton of money or try bashing you on what fish you can and cant keep.

Jhawk if the damsel was added last and the clown has his territory claimed then the damsel shouldnt be a problem. Someone with a 5g nano had both in a reef. Ive noticed this forum either wants you to spend a ton of money or try bashing you on what fish you can and cant keep.

no one is bashing anyone and we are looking out for the safety and health of the animals in question. a ten gallon is to small for both, and both fish are part of the damsel family. This could easily result in many fights and death. Why risk it, why not just stock the ten appropriately .

just because people do it, doesnt make it right.

It could but have you tried it? Its not the family. Its that each fish is different. Lfs and a few people told me lawnmower blennys wouldnt each brown algea. Wrong. Both that I have had have ate it. If you arent a marine biologist then how do you know whats going to happen? Even if you was a marine biologist that doesnt mean you will know how these fish act together. Jhawk I think the guys name is sandynuts or something like that on reef central.

trial and error isn't something you should with a living creature. do as you want but it isn't wise, I guess any advice that you don't like hearing can be discounted as " your not a marine biologist"

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It could but have you tried it? Its not the family. Its that each fish is different. Lfs and a few people told me lawnmower blennys wouldnt each brown algea. Wrong. Both that I have had have ate it. If you arent a marine biologist then how do you know whats going to happen? Even if you was a marine biologist that doesnt mean you will know how these fish act together. Jhawk I think the guys name is sandynuts or something like that on reef central.

No offense but the support for a lot of your theories seems to be "I saw some one else do it" and that's not anything. And for some reason you think one needs to be a marine biologist to know how to care for marine life, not true. Mattys advice is spot on, and commonly accepted fact. Damsels and clowns do not do well together in small tanks as each occupies the same areas and both are aggressive, that's pretty much just the way it is.

No offense but the support for a lot of your theories seems to be "I saw some one else do it" and that's not anything. And for some reason you think one needs to be a marine biologist to know how to care for marine life, not true. Mattys advice is spot on, and commonly accepted fact. Damsels and clowns do not do well together in small tanks as each occupies the same areas and both are aggressive, that's pretty much just the way it is.

thank you bigred. Some people just dont want to listen to anyone but their own voice.

I appreciate you trying to help. As of right now they are doing fine though, and as I said I'll remove the damsel if he becomes a problem.

I'm trying to get help on coral stocking, how to place them, supplements for them, which are best for my setup, etc. So can someone please inform me on that.

I currently have a Duncan coral, pic is attached. How does it look? It's been in my tank for 3 days. Also what else would go good with it with my lighting. As I said the reviews on amazon, and other places are 4-5 stars and say it can support up to medium light corals.

you need a better light for anything besides softies. if you don't want to take the advice on your fish it will be your own downfall

Stick to softies, as your light is pretty weak. No supplements should be needed with soft corals assuming your using a reef grade salt.

you need a better light for anything besides softies. if you don't want to take the advice on your fish it will be your own downfall

Stop worrying about the fish. Gesh, I get it. It wasn't the best choice and for the 3rd time I will remove the damsel if he becomes a problem!!

And I just got the light. I'm not ordering another one! Read some reviews on it! I think you'll be surprised.

What kind of softies are there? I don't really know exactly what they are. And no one will answer my question about the coral I already have?

Stick to softies, as your light is pretty weak. No supplements should be needed with soft corals assuming your using a reef grade salt.

I don't mix my own water. I buy the pre mixed water from petco. Is the sufficient?

Looks fine, soft coral include mushrooms, polyps, leathers, and Kenya trees.

mushrooms and zoas, Duncan who knows if it will make it, though I think it will die.

check your levels before supplementing ( test calc, alk, etc.)

Back
Top Bottom