10 Gallon stocking plans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Azure Lord

Aquarium Advice Freak
Nothing set in stone yet except i really want 3 female bettas. Im planning on some Glofish danios. Opinions? Suggested quantities?Alternatives?

Well the Bettas will get along ok but Danios can be a bit nippy, you'll want to keep them in groups of 6+ to try and vent their aggression and nipping tendencies.

Obviously in a 10G your choices are limited but I might suggest a more docile fish to put in with Bettas.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Tetras, like neon tetras, would be good. but you need them in large schools (8+), so it is either them or the danios.

I haven't done it personally, but I've done a fair bit of reading on sororities, because I think they're really cool and I love bettas! They can get very territorial, so make sure that you have lots of different hiding places where they can get out of view of each other. They will establish a pecking order and pick out their own territories. Rather than adding another type of fish, I would suggest doing more female bettas. The more you have, the less likely they are to team up and kill one, which is definitely a possibility. Try to pick out fish that are similar in size, and make sure you add them all at the same time. And hope you don't get a really aggressive female, or you could be in trouble! If you end up adding new fish to the tank at any point, take all of the fish out and rearrange the tank so that no one has an established territory to defend.

Ok...what about bettas and tetras? Theres plenty of hiding spots for the bettas

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It depends on the personality of your bettas. Tetras are generally a good choice, though they need to be in groups of at least 6. Many tetras, like neons for example, should really have more like 20 gallons though, and having 6 tetras plus 3 bettas might cause then to be too close for comfort, even if there are lots of hiding places. Up to you though.

ok.....but ami correct in my understanding to add the bettas second?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You could add them second or at the same time. Just don't add them first.

Back
Top Bottom