10 gallon suggestions - stocking and filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfiend

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just wanted to get some suggestions on what to stock in my 10 gallon I'm about to start up. Also wanted some suggestions for filtration. Definately what to do some kind of schooling fish.

Celestial pearl danios, ember tetra, and chili rasboras are all nice nano schooling fish. Endlers aren't schooling fish but they are very pretty and do well in that size. For a ten gallon I'd also recommending looking into sparkling gourami as a nice centerpiece.

For filtration I'd recommend an Aquaclear 20 (or more -- I run two AC20s on my ten gal).

Thanks. Did you use them to get your cycle going or did you add them after the tank cycled for a few weeks?

You could get some tetra variety rummy nose ate nice so are Congo's and neons

Guppies are great little buds

Fighter fish cannot be kept in schools but are lovely and you can get two

Guppys are great. I've had them before. So are neons. I'm definately looking into getting some of them

Harlequin rasboras, black skirt, rummynose, congo, and neon tetras are much too active for a 10g and really should be in a minimum of 20g ideally. Bettas are great in 10 gallons but in most cases must be the solo occupant (in certain cases they do ok with other fish, but never another betta). Try your best to target the nano schooling fish if possible.

I would never put two bettas in a tank ha I know that. I've had bettas before, but thank you for the advice, ill make sure not to ooverstock. I plan on getting a bigger tank soon like a 55 gallon or so.

Actually it is possible to have more than one betta in a 10 gallon tank, although 10 gallons is the minimum. It would be called a sorority tank because only females can be in a tank like that together. The minimum they suggest is 4 females per sorority tank and the females should be relatively passive. they usually will chase each other around For a while to establish the dominant female but eventually that should settle down. I'm going to be setting up one myself in the next few weeks and I would really research if that's what you end up doing.

Harlequin rasboras, black skirt, rummynose, congo, and neon tetras are much too active for a 10g and really should be in a minimum of 20g ideally. Bettas are great in 10 gallons but in most cases must be the solo occupant (in certain cases they do ok with other fish, but never another betta). Try your best to target the nano schooling fish if possible.

+1 to this. Most of the fish suggested are really to active for a 10g. I wouldn't put congas in less than a 55g. Also I wouldn't do a female betta sorority in a tank this small. Definitely not 4 bettas either. A all female betta tank needs 30+

+1 to this. Most of the fish suggested are really to active for a 10g. I wouldn't put congas in less than a 55g. Also I wouldn't do a female betta sorority in a tank this small. Definitely not 4 bettas either. A all female betta tank needs 30+

+2. Most of the fish suggested are too active for a 10.

Here are some suggestions:

--a school of 6-8 nano fish like ember tetra, chili rasbora or celestial pearl danio (make sure they are nano fish and not just small fish; neon tetras are small but too active for a 10 gal) with 1-2 scarlet badis. shrimp and/or snails if you like OR
-- 1 betta (with shrimp and/or snails if the betta tolerates them) OR
-- 3-4 guppies OR
-- 2-3 platy OR
--2 dwarf puffers OR
-- 3 african dwarf frogs OR
-- shell dwelling cichlids (one male female pair or a harem of one male and 3-4 females)

Thanks I'm definately gonna look into the shell dwellers.

Back
Top Bottom