10 gallon tank mates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Psylk87

Aquarium Advice Activist
What fish can I put in a 10 gallon tank wiht 1 betta in it? Recs and thoughts appreciated.

Your best bet would be a small group of cories. Ideally 4-6 of the three dwarf species: C. pygmaeus, C. hastatus or C. habrosus.

It all depends on the betta him/herself. Most bettas do not enjoy company while some don't mind it at all, others can even enjoy it. unfortunatly a 10g doesn't leave you with much room. I believe that Bettas are pretty sedate fish, which means you don't want to put any hyperactive fish in with him/her.

Neon tetras maybe
I've heard of someone who has 3 corys in their 10g

It all depends on the betta. Him/her alone will decide if they want tank mates. A betta is perfectly happy in a 10g all by themselves as they don't need companionship.

Your best bet would be a small group of cories. Ideally 4-6 of the three dwarf species: C. pygmaeus, C. hastatus or C. habrosus.

Sorry, posted too quickly -

I was going to say that in a 10g, I wouldn't have more than 4 C. aeneus or something that size. With the dwarf cories, you can have a group of six.

Your next option would be harlequin rasboras. They're very peaceful - they never gave my beta any trouble. You have to remember - in a community tank, the betta is more likely to be threatened than the other fish. Bettas can't swim as quickly and their fins can be irresistible to other fish.

But I highly recommend cories as tank mates.

Being very NEW to this hobby I probably shouldn't speak up yet. I got into it by getting a betta boy as a gift and then meaning well got him 2.5 gal "betta bow" filtered tank and petco guy advised platy and molly (1 of each) for companions.... Needless to say... That was BAD!!!! Well... While doing all of my research and while my bigger tank was getting ready for The Trio (as I call them) which took for about 3 months) I never had any major issues except for the initial intro of the other 2, betta boy started flaring and after few hrs of watching that put him in separate planted bowl while putting more live plants and rearranging hiding places in the tank. He was back in the very next day and it's been nothing but peaceful tank since. Plus amazingly with being so overstocked in this tank my ammonia never went above 0.5, and that was only 1 instance (did something stupid) and couple of other times at 0.25, other than that, perfect chemistry the whole time. Now this original betta boy and his 2 companions are in their bigger home with some young family fish for the platy and molly, and few ghost shrimp and couple of snails... He has yet to bother anyone, the mollies and platies either mind their own business or interschool with each other, and the Betta Boy (named Parker) is kinda of a Patriarch looking after his flock. It's very cool to watch. I should add that since that unfortunate beginning I grew my fish family by 4 more bettas (just love them!!!!) they each have their own filtered tank with lots of live plants, driftwood, places to hide... And for them... Their shrimp and snail companions were added once they'd had time to establish their territory... But they, too show no signs of aggression to their tankmates so far. I may try to introduce couple of fish at some point and see how it goes but for now, my Beginner's Theory is: if you have heavily planted tank (live plants), decent space for them, .... And don't starve them to death.., betta's don't have to be aggressive, neither one of mine (5 males) are. I feed mine twice a day, am is usually frozen peas or mini betta pellets, or betta flakes (went through few brands bfr found what they liked), evening is always frozen food (brine shrimp, blood worms, glassworms... Rotating them around... Still gotta look up the garlic recipes to try on them, so far everyone has been healthy and eating and growing but gotta be ready for those evil germs:) long story, but figured if someone is asking about the betta... Chances are they are as green as I was 3 months ago and like me they want to do the right thing. Hope I was able to help, at least a little:) enjoy your Betta, they are so full of personality and their beauty is unsurpassed:)

Sorry, posted too quickly -

I was going to say that in a 10g, I wouldn't have more than 4 C. aeneus or something that size. With the dwarf cories, you can have a group of six.

Your next option would be harlequin rasboras. They're very peaceful - they never gave my beta any trouble. You have to remember - in a community tank, the betta is more likely to be threatened than the other fish. Bettas can't swim as quickly and their fins can be irresistible to other fish.

But I highly recommend cories as tank mates.

Very good point! I've never had any experience with any aggressive fish other then betta, but do know they can fall victim, thank you for bringing that up

Back
Top Bottom