10g cycled?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Codyheitmiller

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I set up a 10g tank in feb and put live sand in there to help along with water from my dt. I used this to help cure some live rock. Should it have cycled by now? And could I add my clowns in there?

Did you put an ammonia source in there to keep the cycle? Like a raw shrimp or flake food or pure ammonia?

No. Just live sand from my 4 year old aquarium and uncured rock. I did have some crabs in there so I would put some brine in there

See if you can get someone else to chime in, but without a constant ammonia source you can't really cycle... Live sand needs something to feed all the bacteria, or else you had a LOT of die off and overfed a lot of brine..... I'd throw a raw shrimp in there, if it is there for a day or two with no spike, then it should be able to handle fish. Since its a 10G I would put a very small or part of one, since you won't have a big bioload as it it.

Well I have alot of pods, bristle worms and some crabs that eat it. But I'll try the shrimp.

I really don't know how much bioload that kind of stuff accounts for, if any...
how long has it been up?

sorry, I looked twice up top and didn't see it...must have left my brain at work. I'd really recommend testing with the shrimp just to be safe since you didn't have a real source. Also make sure the crabs don't eat the shrimp, at least not for a few days.

Back
Top Bottom