10G FW Planted Aquarium Build Thread #2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmm...that might be it, the plants. I just started seeing them after I put the plants in. Well, they should be gone in a few days since I am not feeding flakes anymore...wheww to that...

And I don't know anything bout shipping wet stuff as well...let me know if you are serious about shipping me one in a baggie...I can pay you shipping through paypal..:)

I'm completely serious! :D I'll look into the shipping and see what I can do. I wouldn't be able to ship until the first part of next week though. I just placed new filter media for my 10g in my 55g HOB to seed it a little so I can replace the one I have, (it's getting really gunky). I will send you that one... lots of good stuff in there to help kick your cycle into full gear!

The only problem is it will just be the media, (I don't have an extra holder). But I'm sure you can let it free-float in your filter since you're not wanting to filter anything. I use Medium Bio-Bags btw.

I'll send you a message via PM once I find out about the shipping. There's no need to pay me either. It shouldn't cost that much, plus, you can always surprise me one of these days w/ a bag full of plants. ;)

daileene said:
Hmm...that might be it, the plants. I just started seeing them after I put the plants in. Well, they should be gone in a few days since I am not feeding flakes anymore...wheww to that...

And I don't know anything bout shipping wet stuff as well...let me know if you are serious about shipping me one in a baggie...I can pay you shipping through paypal..:)

One thing I do is QT my plants just like new fish. I got some free plants (my first) from a LFS, put it in and got ick 3 days later. Can't say for certain that it caused it, but I'm not gonna let it happen again.

FYI McLumpy: I got my new light in and did a comprehensive build/review in the DIY section.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium

I'm completely serious! :D I'll look into the shipping and see what I can do. I wouldn't be able to ship until the first part of next week though. I just placed new filter media for my 10g in my 55g HOB to seed it a little so I can replace the one I have, (it's getting really gunky). I will send you that one... lots of good stuff in there to help kick your cycle into full gear!

The only problem is it will just be the media, (I don't have an extra holder). But I'm sure you can let it free-float in your filter since you're not wanting to filter anything. I use Medium Bio-Bags btw.

I'll send you a message via PM once I find out about the shipping. There's no need to pay me either. It shouldn't cost that much, plus, you can always surprise me one of these days w/ a bag full of plants. ;)

You are the awesomest! If there is such a word, hehe! I used medium bio bags too..yayyy!

Definitely will surprise you with plants one day so put your return address in..:-D

Thanks in advance...

One thing I do is QT my plants just like new fish. I got some free plants (my first) from a LFS, put it in and got ick 3 days later. Can't say for certain that it caused it, but I'm not gonna let it happen again.

FYI McLumpy: I got my new light in and did a comprehensive build/review in the DIY section.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium

I hear you Mr. Limpet..I will definitely QT new plants in the future before I will put them in my tank...I am getting anxious of all this snails and worms attack in my tanks...although the snails went away miraculously (hope they didn't hear me and come back, LOL). But this worms are just grossing me out...yikes!

LEVEL UPDATES:

March 25, 2011 (2 weeks and 3 days fishless cycling) around 3:55PM:

Ammonia: 2-4ppm
Nitrite: still 5ppm

So far so good...

daileene said:
LEVEL UPDATES:

March 25, 2011 (2 weeks and 3 days fishless cycling) around 3:55PM:

Ammonia: 2-4ppm
Nitrite: still 5ppm

So far so good...

Hopefully the ammo at 4 will kill those nasty worms :\

Good job!

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

oh i do hope so...no flakes for them, just pure ammonia...HA...although I am fearing for my plants if they will eat those instead...:-(

daileene said:
oh i do hope so...no flakes for them, just pure ammonia...HA...although I am fearing for my plants if they will eat those instead...:-(

IDK, never knew FW could get worms. But I bet the ammo will get them first.

The only good worms are the one in my compost bin :).

LOL oh yeah...I agree with the good worms in the compost bin...

IDK, they sent me a link about the planaria too and there is a picture there that looks like the worms I have...oh well, all I can do is wait and see I guess...

Okay, sorry for not being able to update levels for this tank. Here are some of them:

March 27, 2011 at 6:39PM (2 weeks and 5 days):

Ammo=0ppm; Nitrite=2-5ppm (added 1 tsp pure ammonia)

Checked again around 8:11PM:

Ammo=2-4ppm; Nitrite: 2-5ppm

March 29, 2011 at 4:53PM (3 weeks):

Ammo=1ppm; Nitrite= 2-5ppm (added 1/2 tsp pure ammonia)

March 30, 2011 at 11:35PM (3 weeks and 1 day):

Ammo= 1-2ppm; Nitrite: 2ppm (added 1/2 tsp pure ammonia)

March 31, 2011 (3 weeks and 2 days):

I got the seeded media from McLumpy (thanks so much) and put it in this tank. Decided to let the tank sit in for 24 hours before checking the levels again.

April 1, 2011 at 10:48AM (3 weeks and 3 days):

Ammo=2 ppm; Nitrite=0.50ppm

I will try to check it again later...just to make sure...:)

I have bad news though...although I haven't found any leftover worms here, suddenly today I saw more than 10 snails. I don't know where they were hiding before this since most of them are in the bigger size already. They stayed in my mopani DW. I immediately took the ones that I see, but I know there are still more somewhere...Man I just can't get a break with all this snails...:-(

daileene said:
I have bad news though...although I haven't found any leftover worms here, suddenly today I saw more than 10 snails. I don't know where they were hiding before this since most of them are in the bigger size already. They stayed in my mopani DW. I immediately took the ones that I see, but I know there are still more somewhere...Man I just can't get a break with all this snails...:-(

Sorry to hear about th snails :(. Do you know what kind of snails? I want MTS for a couple tanks, but until the GSP get setup I don't want to get over run lol.

FYI: I'm doing a Fluval EBI build (thread) for our Betta :).

That sucks. Don't blame me though, the filter media that I sent to you was snail-free. ;) Speaking of which, I sent you a PM. I will gladly take a few of those little guys off your hands. :D

Can't wait to get an update on your cycle!

Sorry to hear about th snails :(. Do you know what kind of snails? I want MTS for a couple tanks, but until the GSP get setup I don't want to get over run lol.

FYI: I'm doing a Fluval EBI build (thread) for our Betta :).

They are the common pond snails. They have been hiding from me somehow coz I haven't seen them before. But I know they were there then because they are bigger now..they actually are eating the stuff that is in the DW, which is good I think, but I don't want them overpopulating.

Thank you so much for the info about the Fluval EBI build. I will go check it now.

That sucks. Don't blame me though, the filter media that I sent to you was snail-free. ;) Speaking of which, I sent you a PM. I will gladly take a few of those little guys off your hands. :D

Can't wait to get an update on your cycle!

LOL...no I won't blame you. I know they were there already before I put the seeded media in, they just chose to come out today. LOL. And I will send some of them if you don't mind the common pond snail. ;-)

I can't wait to see the levels too..:)

LOL...no I won't blame you. I know they were there already before I put the seeded media in, they just chose to come out today. LOL. And I will send some of them if you don't mind the common pond snail. ;-)

I can't wait to see the levels too..:)

Sneaky buggers, huh? If they'll eat algae... I'll take a few. When they get to be too much for my 10g tank, I can always put them in my pond. :D

Aha...you teaser...I wish I could have a pond too, but my landlord will not permit that. LOL. I don't really know if they do eat algae, I know the common pond snails will eat the dying plants and the extra uneaten foods of the fishes, but I don't know if they will eat algae. I think the nerite snails are the ones that eats algae, as far as I know. Still want them?

Level update:

4/3/11 (3 weeks and 5 days) @ 4:33PM:

Ammo: 0.25ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm (wooohooo)=added 1 tsp pure ammonia to feed the good bacteria

checked levels again around 6:55PM:
Ammo: 4ppm (oppss)
Nitrite: 0.25ppm

Today, 4/4/11, around 5:44PM:

Ammo: 2ppm
Nitrite: 2ppm (it went up, waaaa)

Back
Top Bottom