10gal stocking advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hope so too. I think he likes to grab a lot of the food before the other guy can get it. Could by the problem.

I got some more pics of the platys.

I also put in a pic of one of my female and male lyre tails from my other tank, just to share. :) You can see with the male his gonopodium is huge... lol.

Sorry for the blurry-ness. They just move so fast! lol

Attachments

• DSCF1405.jpg
    DSCF1405.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 55
  • DSCF1406.jpg
    DSCF1406.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 57
  • DSCF1412.jpg
    DSCF1412.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 56
  • DSCF1415.jpg
    DSCF1415.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 56
Oh! I almost forgot to ask. I've heard several stories of ghost shrimp being aggressive, and I just wanted to make sure adding neons with them would be safe since they are so small. The platys and them seem to barely even notice each other whatsoever, so I'm hoping the same with happen with the neons. Am I right to assume this? I'm just afraid if the neons go too much towards the bottom of the tank, it will be a shrimp feasting party, and this is something I'd like to avoid.

So I actually got the chance to go to the pet store today and I ended up getting regular neons. They didn't have the green ones. I'm not sure why I thought they would since I've only seen them there like once. But, I'm very excited.

They're actually not too shy, happily swimming in their school around the tank. Add so much color!

I also got a piece of elodia (I believe that is what it is?) to perhaps help with the aggression with the platys. And it looks nice too!

Here's some pics:
Just disregard those ugly plant bulbs that have not yet sprouted, lol.

Attachments

• DSCF1422.jpg
    DSCF1422.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 60
  • DSCF1423.jpg
    DSCF1423.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 62
Well if anyone is curious to know, all neons are doing great. No shrimp attacks as of yet. Hoping it stays this way.

Black skirt tetras are great additions they grow anout the soze of a half dollar coin and are beautiful

Dwarf and sunset gouramis are great too, they add beautiful color to a tank

Attachments

• image-1498518184.jpg
    image-1498518184.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 54
  • image-3657400989.jpg
    image-3657400989.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 65
Thanks! Pygmy cories would be cool, but my LPSs don't carry them. I've never seen them. Plus my shrimp do a pretty good job at cleaning the bottom anyways. :)

Thanks for your suggestions! IMO black skirts get a little too big for a ten gal, but are all the same lovely fish. I love gouramis as well, but I think I may be a bit overstocked if I added one.

Thanks for all your opinions!

The black skirts will grow to fit thier habitat so if you buy them small and put them in a ten gallon they will grow only a little so the are still comfy in the tank

I recommend you do a little bit of research into fish growth stunting. Its not just as simple as that and it is not comfy for them, but that discussion for a different thread.

@okapi, I think the tank looks great! I am glad ot hear the neons are doing well. It seems pretty common for people to find unhealthy ones and then have a hard time keeping them alive. I am glad yours are doing well.
Your lyre-tail platies are really cool. I have actually never seen one of those before. Do both genders get the lyre, or just males? I have had lyre tail mollies and then both genders get the lyre.
As for the shrimp, the only time I have ever really heard of ghosties being aggressive is with fry, not full sized fish. My guppies pecked at my ghosties too much, but the ghosties never bothered the guppies. Thats actually rare though. Most people say small fish leave the ghosties alone.

Thanks! I love the neons!

Thanks! I really love the lyre tails. They're actually swordtails, not platys. I happened to read about them online one day. I have always loved swordtails, and my LPS actually ordered them for me!
Both genders get the lyres. The orange one on the right is a female. The males just have a much more defined sword, as is with my male in the bottom left picture. Never have I heard about them anywhere on this forum before. I just think they're so beautiful, it makes me wonder why no one has ever seen them.

That's good to hear about the shrimp! And so far everyone is getting along quite well :) I love how curious the ghosties are. When I had the neons floating in the tank, all of the ghosties were just climbing all over the bag lol. And when my hand in is the tank moving something, everyone simply has to come and investigate lol. So much fun!

Thats interesting. They look more like platys to me, but platys and sword interbreed pretty regularly, so I have heard that many of the commonly available swords have been interbred with platys sometimes or another. That keep the swords a bit smaller. Its really cool that both genders get the lyre. Either way, they are super cool fish. They are quite beautiful! I have never seen them, but I do not have a big selection of fish locally.

Thank you!

For sure these fish aren't small, lol. They're all 3.5/4.5in at least.

If they interbred, doesn't that mean their offspring would be sterile? And if they weren't, then technically they are the same species.

Thanks for the article!
Just so you know, apparently the platys and swords are so similar genetically that their offspring are not sterile. :)

Ah, okay. That makes sense. They are very close looking! Thanks for all your help!

Just thought I'd post an update. Currently all fish are doing well :) Seems as though a female betta did add herself to the tank :p I did end up switching out one of the platies because of their aggression towards each other.

Attachments

• DSCF1457.jpg
    DSCF1457.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 57
  • DSCF1458.jpg
    DSCF1458.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 55
Back
Top Bottom