10gal to 40 gal moving steps - is this correct thinking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimsz

Aquarium Advice Regular
Over the weekend we will be moving everything from the 10gal tank to a new 40 gal tank.

Here is the process I am thinking of

Do a partial drain of the old tank into a large bucket (5 gallons) and transfer the fish (5 zebra danio/glofish - small), heater, some plants into it and cover with a cloth to keep it darker.

Finish draining the old tank but keeping the gravel and filter media submerged/wet and move it all out of the way.

Move the new tank (already been washed out and dried) into it's place/level, add the new gravel (after it has been washed, etc) fill 1/4 of the way with dechlorinated water (Seachem) that is already to temperature.

Add the new gravel as the top level, add the various decorations/plastic plants, etc while slowly filling the new tank. Insert the main heater which is adjustable and insert the preset non adjustable smaller heater for a backup.

When filled - turn on filter with the old media inserted behind the new media.

Add the stress/coat additive.

Let run for a couple hours, perform the full water test (API Master) and then drip acclimate the fish in the bucket to the new tank.

1 - 2 hours later add new fish to tank with lights off.

Is my process sound?

Once I move my old tank out of the way and it only being 10 gallons, should I remove the gravel and refill it with the water I removed and place the fish in there instead of a bucket?

Should I rinse the old gravel at all prior to placing it in the new tank?

Should I add Tetra Safe Start to the new tank as well?

Should I use any of the old tank water in the new tank?

I want to do whatever is the least amount of stress to the fish as possible and assure they make the transition successfully.

That would be a good plan after your new tank has been cycled!
You could probably do an almost instant cycle if you run your new filter for the forty gallon with some old filter media stuffed in it, as well as use the gravel from the ten gallon tank. I was able to cycle all of my tanks in a matter of days with this method. You just have to be deligent

The old media will definitely help seed the new tank and as long as you dont get more fish until you are sure it is cycled and there isnt any dieoff of BB (which with your method would be small to none) I think it is definitely sound.. How long has the 10 gal been cycled?? if it was a mature tank, then you should be good to go... make sure the new substrate is rinsed before adding it.

You can swish the old substrate in tank water before moving it to get the detrius out, just be sure any water you use has been dechlorinated

Tank water itself does not house much BB at all and would only be there for the acclimation and rinsing new materials.

If you are using Prime to dechlorinate I dont know how much the other additives will be beneficial, especially the Tetra safe start...

I would prime the water then start the filter once it is filled, dont forget to use either dechlorinated water or old tank water to rinse the new filter media, we want to keep those BB alive and eating!

If you want to do it another way you can drain the 10 gal tank a lot with a PWC and move it to a temp location, set up the new one and use a bag of old gravel to seed the new tank and fishless cycle the new one... then move the fish later... just another option, but if you go with the first, keep a close eye on the levels and be ready to fish-in cycle the new tank...

Update 1 month in.

The 40 gallon tank is doing fine. It never recycled and i am still running the new filter as well as the old filter.

The tank was tested daily for the first week and every other day for the next couple weeks and now I am doing it every 2 or 3 days. The readings are all steady Ammonia, Nitrates, Nitrites at 0 and ph always the same due to our water here.

Fish have slowly been added and 30% water changes are done weekly.

The switch over went much smoother than I had expected an thank you all for your assistance.

Wonderful, that's good news, gives us all hope for future upgrades will be as smooth!

Back
Top Bottom