10gallon nano tank build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sounds like a plan to me you will also need a tds meter. With the 29 you have a lot more flexibility in stocking it. I prefer having more choices in fish as well as I went with the 29 hqi which has a 150w halide so I can keep virtually what ever I want for corals even a nem or a clam. Stock pc lights on the bio cube will keep a lot of corals though.

Cool! I'll check jnto it. Doesn't the hps raise the temp a lot?

In some cases it will but am not seeing a flexuation even with the hqi on for 12 hours but my room is usually cool so that might be part of the reason. Just FYI the the jbj one has heat issues or so I'm told

Is there a benefit for either cube or rectangle shaped aquariums? I'm still debating if I want te biocube or 2 20gallons

Is there a large benefit in having a wet sump over just the biocubes filter system?
I'm thinking the fact that I'll have a refugium, proteinskimmer, more water, and a larger filter area, but is all that worth it? I do like building stuff on a side note..

I'm not very handy so I chose just the biocube and a media basket with fuge for the back compartment. But there is alot of benfit to an actual sump. Good place to hide equipment as well. I don;t usually run a skimmer on such a small thank though, I just do weekly water changes. I'm testing out a biocube skimmer and its not very good.

What kind of skimmer (company, price,...) would be affordable and good for a 30 gallon main tank and 20g sump (seems to be the best option ;)

Should I consider making it a wet dry sump? Or just wet?

Not sure how much room you'll have in your sump. i would however suggest a refugium in the center section.

As far as skimmer it will have to be someting that fits in your sump. A 20g is only 24 inches long and most skimmers take up at least 8 inches. A hangon skimmer is an option but it kinda kills the idea of hiding everything.

I'm thinking of just drawing it up in autocad that way I can optimize the fluid flow ;) but what skimmer that is bout 8 inches could you recommend?

Sooooo.... I sold my rat cage and all the stuff with it..now with the new money I checked my budget and I decided to go with a 10g budget nano reef :)
I got a tank spray-painted the back blue, aragonite sand, pump, hob filter, and for now my desk lamp for light :)
I got a list of a lot of stuff that I'm ordering or going to get from the store.
A few questions though:
I have the cartridges in my aqua-clear hob, what would I put in there in the future instead?
How much LR do I add and how much dry?
How much flow is too much?

Thanks guys!! Heres some pics :)

image-638021655.jpg

Spray paint

image-2571208411.jpg

Still dusty.. Will clear soon !!

image-1915424151.jpg

Surface agitation.. Need more or less?
How many gph are suggested for 10g? It's a aqueon 500 now..

Thaankkkss!!

i think you could use a bit more surface agitation. Looks pretty calm now. can you angle your powerhead up a bit?

Oh sure it was almost pointing down, what's the point of this pump really?
It broke when I wanted to adjust it.. :( going to return it and get some live rubble..
I won't be able to get my lights on the tank until a week from today.. Is that a big deal for the live rock?

xxlbreed said:
Oh sure it was almost pointing down, what's the point of this pump really?
It broke when I wanted to adjust it.. :( going to return it and get some live rubble..
I won't be able to get my lights on the tank until a week from today.. Is that a big deal for the live rock?

You have an aqueaon pump from petsmart right? That's why it broke. I bought 2, they both broke, and I returned them to petsmart. I was soooooo mad.

Yup! Petco actually but ya.. Stupid things!!
Thinking of just holding out and ordering one but than I reAlly want to get the cycle started!! Any input on live rubble??

Returned the aqueon, went to lfs and got some live rock 2lb and gota koralia evo 550 instead. Is that too much flow? Here's a surface pic

image-3705642446.jpg

This is with the filter though.. It doesn't move the sand at all but it moves the water quite a bit. I eventually wanna get some fish and corals.
S always any help appreciated

Not too much? the guy at the lfs had me worried .. he was like thats way to big for a 10g .. ? it does take up a lot of space tho..
how much lr and how much dry?

Back
Top Bottom