12 gallon stocking advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mine arent picky at all. They eat anything, algae, wafers, shrimp pellets, and even the flakes for my tetras. :) they seem tireless, and they are sooo cute ;-)

ashleynicole said:
I disagree. oto's will eat cucumber and zuccini. Mine seem to prefer cucumber. Also mine eat the hikari sinking algae wafers. I buy the mini ones and of course all the fish go after them but I've seen my oto's on them as well.

I do agree to make sure the cycle is complete before adding the oto's.

Mine never ate anything but algae

Asgerlund said:
Mine arent picky at all. They eat anything, algae, wafers, shrimp pellets, and even the flakes for my tetras. :) they seem tireless, and they are sooo cute ;-)

Mine too. You can also look at their bellies. If it is shrunken and concave its bad but slightly rounded is good.

ashleynicole said:
Also I will mention that the only brand of algae wafers I buy are the hikari. I've tried a few others but my bottom feeders go nuts over the hikari in particular.

Hiker is pretty good. They boast on the bag that it is the number one used plecostamus food worldwide. I don't care if it is or not, but I just feed one or two to my cories for good protein supplementation.

Hiker is pretty good. They boast on the bag that it is the number one used plecostamus food worldwide. I don't care if it is or not, but I just feed one or two to my cories for good protein supplementation.

I don't really go by brand name or what they advertise on the bag, lol. I go by ingredients, which is why a majority of my fish food is omega one. I haven't tried the omega one algae wafers yet but I intend to. In the past before I used to pay attention to the ingredients I went through several brands of algae wafers and all my bottom feeders seemed to prefer the hikari while there were some brands that never got touched, which is why I still by them today. The ingredient list is pretty good although the omega one ingredient lists looks a little better.

Oto's on cucumber. I don't blanch, just cut and remove seeds.

Notice the fat rounded belly:
ForumRunner_20120528_211000.jpg

Can you see all 4?
ForumRunner_20120528_211036.jpg

Yummy!
ForumRunner_20120528_211103.jpg

Back
Top Bottom