125 gallon build log

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
C'mon guys, bigger pictures then you'd be able to see all the problems in the tank. lol

I'll see what I can do this evening.

I still owe ya pics, I know. I've got a leak somewhere causing the outlets to blow microbubbles everywhere, so i want to get that cleared up before taking any pics. I did some work on one of the runs last night during PWC, so hopefully today things will be settled out.

You asked for it!

I'm overdue, but here it is.

Tanks doing well. Algae - gone, just took a few weeks for the ferts to kick in. Plants have started to really take off in growth. I'm not really trimming or doing much, just letting things really settle in before I start moving stuff around.

Anywho, a few pics for ya.

IMG_2046.JPG

IMG_2047.JPG

IMG_2048.JPG

IMG_2049.JPG

IMG_2051.JPG

IMG_2052.JPG

IMG_2056.JPG

IMG_2058.JPG

In that last pic, is that a Madagascar lace plant? Or something else? Whatever it is, its captivating!! Also, were those snails on the driftwood?

Love the pics of the oto and the RCS, looks like happy tank inhabitants. And I am completely jealous of your tank! Makes my 5 gal. look kind of shabby :rolleyes:.

Yes, that's a lace plant. The thing is getting huge. Leaves close to 2' long on it, and it throws flowers to the surface almost constantly. Gorgeous, but may be getting too big.

Yes, snails in the tank are olive nerites.

Except that it would completely take over my tank (from the sounds of it), I would love to have a lace plant. Tank looks fantastic by the way!

Very Nice Neilan........that is a great spot for that lace.
Mine out grew my tanks.....I just sold it the other day.
Everything is coming along nice though.......but it's always to slow when you're waiting for it to fill in huh.
I know it's taken forever for my downoi to fill in.

Question for ya.......what is the red plant in middle of this pic.
IMG_2052.JPG

I'm horrible about remembering what plant is what, or identifying this stuff. Like the plant on the right side of the photo, I've got no clue what that one is.

But, for the middle one, I believe that one is Telenthera/Red Temple, which is some version of Alternanthera reineckii.

The waiting game is all part of it, right? If you look closely you'll see my e. parvula trying to begin the fillin process, which I think is gonna take 2-3 months to really do.

Last edited:
Hah......I'm probably worse at the plant names than you are. :)
Yep, Alternanthera reineckii "rosaefolia" is what ya got there.
Thx for the lead......googled my way out of that one.
I asked cuz I have the same plant and never had ID'd it. lol
Someday I'll get around to IDing all my plants.........maybe.

Ya it's gonna look real nice when that grass grows in Neilan.
I've never grown that before.......can you cut that like you would a lawn without killin it? That would be an interesting look.

Any ideas on the plant to the right of it? lol

Yes, actually you do mow it like a lawn when it needs it. Can't propogate it that way, obviously, and I imagine you make a pretty big mess when you do mow it. One of the guys over at GWAPA posted this genius plan that actually works like a champ for regular trimmings, and I imagine would clear up the trimmings from a mowdown pretty nicely.

DIY turbo surface skimmer:
skimmer1.jpg

"Freaking Brilliant" was my initial response when I first saw this. I quickly grabbed a powerhead I had and an empty water bottle, and proceeded to almost 100% clear up the duckweed problems I was having in my 20g tank.

The one key to it you can't really see, is behind the label inside the bottle is filter floss to keep the leaves, trimmings, etc, out of the intake of the powerhead. Also this makes cleanup very, very simple afterwards too.

OMG I am so doing that......I've got duckweed comin out my......umm, ya...i'm doin that.
Thx for that Neilan!!

As for the plant on the right......nope sorry.....the only idea I have on that is that I want some :)

Last edited:
Thanks for all the compliments guys. I am open to criticism as well.

On GWAPA they had requested an updated FTS, so I thought I'd share it here too.

FTS%20040308.JPG

well i can give you plenty of criticism. First off, everything is in the wrong place. The plants, rocks, driftwood even the tank! it's all wrong. It should all be in MY living room! lol:silly:
:bowl:

Back
Top Bottom