125 gallon tank on second floor......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jnthn932

Aquarium Advice Freak
of house built in 1990. What are y'alls thoughts on this? I'm a little concerned for obvious reasons, so I was hoping to get some input.

It should be fine. That tank is not that heavy compared to what a house can hold.
If you are really worried find out where the supports are in your house and put the tank there if you can.

Ah... Finally a thread I may be able to help in,being a newbie here. But with my background I may have some answers. A gallon of water weighs about 8.3 pounds so your looking at over 1,000 pounds without anything in it other then water. Add in your substrate,decor and stand your probably looking at over 1,500 pounds.

May sound like a lot but it's not really. If your house was built in the past say 15-20 years there are certain building codes and standards to be upheld. You will be fine. Find your support beams and lay it out over the beams.

Also it may not hurt to put the tank on a "load bearing" side of the house.

Only thing I would add, is make sure your stand doesn't have feet. While the striuctural support may be able to support the weight, the flooring most likely will not support all the tank weight on 4 points.

It doesn't have feet and I do plan on putting it across the support beams. This has put alot of my concerns to rest. I've heard some horror stories form people at the LFS that have had 180 gallon plus tanks go crashing through their floors. Alot of houses around here are raised to prevent flooding during hurricanes so that's probably why they came crashing through!

Back
Top Bottom