150 filtration????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joeybuzz2006

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Any recomendations for filtering a 150 gallon tank that will be home to south american cichlids....The local fish store suggested the rena canister that is rated for a 175 gallon.....I think I should also use a HOB such as the emperer 400 with biowheels........Would these 2 filters be enough??? Along with some heafty powerheads of course?????

For a tank this large, I would not use a hob. Instead, I would use 2 canister filters. It will evenly filter the water without dead areas. What are the dimensions of the tank? I have a 150 Tall and use 2 Cascade canisters.

Also, when determining the size of filters to choose, you'll want the combined total filtration to be about 600 to 700 gph. Do not rely on the manufacturers rating for how large of a tank that it can filter. They fib a little and tend to overestimate. If it were me, I would go with the XP2 and an XP3. Or maybe two XP3's. If it is a standard 150, I would go with two of the XP3's.

You could also use a sump. But I would definately stay away from hobs on a tank this size. If you're spending all of the money to setup the tank, I wouldn't want to have the filter showing. With a canister its all hidden under the tank.

Back
Top Bottom