150 gal upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alexrd09

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am thinking about upgrading my 90 gallon to a 150 gallon nut am unsure of whether to go acrylic or glass. what are your recommendations?

Anything above 75g and I buy acrylic: Weight, clarity (starfire glass is competition), durability, and ease of modifications. The good thing is that scratches can be buffed out and not too noticeable if you keep them free from algae build-up.

i did some research and decided to go glass. I also decided to put 2x 250w MH. I will be setting up a wet/dry and a refugium. i beleive the lighting should be enough for any corals i may want.i have some questions:
1. Is it necesary for me to cycle the tank if i plan on using the refugium, sand, water and rocks from my 90gal?
2. Should i invest in some antynic lighting to aid coral growth or are the 500w of MH enough(i think this is enought but im not good with lighting so might as well ask)?
3. How should i go about moving my livestock? I have a 20gal tank i can use but im affraid that my livestock is too much for it to handle for a long period of time.

Any additional advice would be greatly appreciated. I want this transition to go without incident.

I am thinking about going with a MH Hood System(corallife). The bulbs are double ended and it would be 300w worth of lighting. Is this enough of should i stay with the 2x250w MH. I would like to spend less money but am willing to pay a little more if it will guarantee healthier corals

yea i got Tank stand canopy lights and wetdry for a killer price(750). im thinking about using my previouce lighting and selling the new ones to make some money back for corals

i did some research and decided to go glass. I also decided to put 2x 250w MH. I will be setting up a wet/dry and a refugium. i beleive the lighting should be enough for any corals i may want.i have some questions:
1. Is it necesary for me to cycle the tank if i plan on using the refugium, sand, water and rocks from my 90gal?
2. Should i invest in some antynic lighting to aid coral growth or are the 500w of MH enough(i think this is enought but im not good with lighting so might as well ask)?
3. How should i go about moving my livestock? I have a 20gal tank i can use but im affraid that my livestock is too much for it to handle for a long period of time.

Any additional advice would be greatly appreciated. I want this transition to go without incident.

Anyone?

Also this is the Live stock i have (the Reason I am upgrading)

Fish:
Yelloweye Tang
Blue Hippo Tang
Scopas Tang
Tomini Tang
Tomato clown
Neon Goby
Bangaii Cardinal
2x spotted cardinal
Sail Fin Tang
2x Green Chromis

Inverts:
Cleaner Shrimp
Coral Banded Shrimp
Emeral Crabs
Sally Lightfoot crabs
Blue Leg hermits
Sand sifting stars
snails
some sort of Sea Urchin

1) If you move everything over at once, you might see a mini-cycle, but I'd doubt it. You'll probably be okay since you're not introducing anything new during the move. You might want to consider using new sand, though, depending on how old the stuff is that you already have.

2) Depends on what bulbs you plan to use. I like the actinics, but many don't use them with MHs.

3) I'd recommend 35 or 45g brute trash cans to have on hand to hold rock, water and sand.

sounds good i will make sure to premix the water the day before and have a 45g trash can or two on hand

I agree that if you move everything over you`ll probably avoid the cycle. I would also suggest using new sand. When I upgraded I used new sand. Too much trash in it but I have known several that used the old sand after they cleaned it but I didnt want to take a chance. My only problem is 5 tangs. Not saying it wont work but that`s alot of them. Luckily they have different body shapes and colors.

They have been working fine in my 90gal for about 8 months but realized i need to give them some more swimming room. This is the reason for the upgrade. They seem to get along fine im just wondering if the Bioload would be too much.

Thanks that what i was hoping. if see them getting sick ill move one or two to a QT and give to a friends.

Back
Top Bottom