150 gallon tank! WHAT NOW?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishlover9000

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just recently picked up a 150 gallon long tank with stand and lid from a friend.

It needs a clean but is watertight.

What Filters should i use?

i have 3 med sized oscars goin in there but it it seem i can have more.

what can i get?

P.S looking for somthing big and that will go with oscars.
PC060011.jpg

all I can think is that I could probably fit in that tank...
I think i would get a mature pleco one of the twelve inch or so long ones.
maybe a bala shark too

Few more questions.

Sand or gravel?
Live or fake plants?
1 big filter or 2 smaller filters at either end?
Driftwood?

as far as I know oscars are agressive (Brothers in law who have numerous fish tanks tell me this, as well as parents) which is why I suggested larger fish. (note a pleco can get up to twelve inches, not sure how big your oscars are but they can also get big.

MFD- Thanks! Could you post a link to that filter?

FishFreak- Oscars can be aggresive, but most of the time they are not... they just eat anything smaller than them. Common mistake.

sgc0286- Would LOVE to have a saltwater tank... Just dont have the money for one that big.

here is a link to the fx5 on the drs foster and smith website... if you go that route, check around some other places and ebay first, you might get a better deal, ive not seen it much cheaper than that though..

WOW! Thats Expensive! but i will see if i can afford it... How many times a month will i have to change the water with that filter? Cuz a 150 gallon tank might take a while to clean.

ive got a 150g and i do a weekly 50% pwc... i could probably do more like a 25% if i wanted, but since my mbuna are so messy (and your oscars will be too), i just go ahead and do 50% to try and prevent any ammonia issues... im getting that filter soon, right now i have a fluval 405, 305, and an aqua-tech 30-60 running on mine, i just want to run 2 canisters instead of 3 filters lol... filtration is one thing you do not want to skimp on when it comes to bigger tanks. another reason im getting the fx5 is because im planning on upgrading this summer/fall when we move, im getting a 240g more than likely

ive got a 150g and i do a weekly 50% pwc... i could probably do more like a 25% if i wanted, but since my mbuna are so messy (and your oscars will be too), i just go ahead and do 50% to try and prevent any ammonia issues... im getting that filter soon, right now i have a fluval 405, 305, and an aqua-tech 30-60 running on mine, i just want to run 2 canisters instead of 3 filters lol... filtration is one thing you do not want to skimp on when it comes to bigger tanks. another reason im getting the fx5 is because im planning on upgrading this summer/fall when we move, im getting a 240g more than likely
How long does is take u to do a 50%?

i have a python, it takes maybe 30-45 minutes, but i just vac up the junk while its connected to the sink, then position the siphon about the halfway mark of the tank, stick the end of the python out the door, then go do whatever... it stops siphoning water when it gets to the bottom of the hose in the tank, so its right around halfway empty, then when i get around to it, i fill the tank back up... you definately dont want to do a pwc in that tank without a python

A Synodontis eupterus (featherfin catfish) goes well with Oscars as a clean up crew. Just be sure to give it a cave.

here is a link to the fx5 on the drs foster and smith website... if you go that route, check around some other places and ebay first, you might get a better deal, ive not seen it much cheaper than that though..

You can pick up FX5's on ebay for $189 brand new..

Back
Top Bottom