16G BowFront --> 29G Reef Tank Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks good!!! I'd love to see the zoas now that they are opened. :)

Thank you! ;) several of them have opened up but a few in the front are still closed so i wanna give it a lil bit longer and see if i can get a full shot of them all open :)

Forgot to ask, should i invest in getting the Calcium test and the other stuff used for testing reef tanks?? i completely forgot about them! :/ i already have the API Master SW kit, should i buy the other individually or what??

If you keep up with wcs in this size tank so understocked it should never be a problem but if a problem does occur or when you begin stocking more corals I would consider a test for alk calc and mag a must

If you keep up with wcs in this size tank so understocked it should never be a problem but if a problem does occur or when you begin stocking more corals I would consider a test for alk calc and mag a must

sounds good to me, thanks for the heads up man

To give you an idea of why especially when you begin heavily stocking corals I just recently started refining all my levels with morning and night testing daily and dosing to maintain consistent and high levels for growth to which I haven't been happier with the looks of my corals. Although my new setup is draining 1 meq/l of alkalinity and 30 ppm calcium daily with testing and dosing I can hold consistent levels

Mrc8858 said:
To give you an idea of why especially when you begin heavily stocking corals I just recently started refining all my levels with morning and night testing daily and dosing to maintain consistent and high levels for growth to which I haven't been happier with the looks of my corals. Although my new setup is draining 1 meq/l of alkalinity and 30 ppm calcium daily with testing and dosing I can hold consistent levels

Well what would you consider to be heavy stocking in my tank??

When you start to get to a coral per gallon I'd say you'll start seeing real drops in levels but every coral and system is different so you'll only know when it happens by testing ;)

Mrc8858 said:
When you start to get to a coral per gallon I'd say you'll start seeing real drops in levels but every coral and system is different so you'll only know when it happens by testing ;)

Okay cool, so I'll look to get one when I get to about 15-20 corals I guess? Lol listen to me.. ahhhhh

I would still get them as soon as you can to become more acquainted with the testing and how your system is working. Also if any problems do arise with out them your missing a huge piece of the puzzle

Mrc8858 said:
I would still get them as soon as you can to become more acquainted with the testing and how your system is working. Also if any problems do arise with out them your missing a huge piece of the puzzle

Okie dokie, I'll make it a point to go pick em up :)

Mrc8858 said:
So..... Have them zoas opened yet! Lol

They did, but I took off the light to save 2 of my snails that were on there backs and half of em closed back up :(

I'd say to run them both for a good week and then put whatever pads or bio media you have in the old filter into the new filter for another week. You may have to cut out the floss from the old filter cartridge and pop it behind the pad in the Skilter.

Ok, if you want the skimmer to run silently you'll need an air pump, a check valve, and a fine airstone. Do you have any of those on hand?

CorallineAlgae said:
I'd say to run them both for a good week and then put whatever pads or bio media you have in the old filter into the new filter for another week. You may have to cut out the floss from the old filter cartridge and pop it behind the pad in the Skilter.

Ok, if you want the skimmer to run silently you'll need an air pump, a check valve, and a fine airstone. Do you have any of those on hand?

I have a check valve I believe id have to double check, no air stone, no air pump lol

Back
Top Bottom