16G BowFront --> 29G Reef Tank Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Love the corals. I think you did way better by getting 5 heads for $20 than 10 heads for $60. Those zoas rock!

It's perfectly fine to run the filter without the airpump. I did the mod just so it would be quiet. Those filters are loud, huh? You can wait to mod it. Any skimmer takes a few days to start pulling out junk. Let us know if you start to collect nice brown sludge in the collection cup.

CorallineAlgae said:
Love the corals. I think you did way better by getting 5 heads for $20 than 10 heads for $60. Those zoas rock!

It's perfectly fine to run the filter without the airpump. I did the mod just so it would be quiet. Those filters are loud, huh? You can wait to mod it. Any skimmer takes a few days to start pulling out junk. Let us know if you start to collect nice brown sludge in the collection cup.

Thank you!! They look awesome in my tank, can't wait til they start growing.

Yeah its not too loud TBH, I can manage and my gf said she could too.. it just makes it sound like its raining outside haha

Omg I'm already itching to get more corals, this is like a crack addiction(even tho I've never touched crack lol)

Just tested my water and OMG..
HR pH 8.0
Ammo 0ppm
Nitrite 2ppm
Nitrate 80ppm

!!!!! Ran to my LFS real quick to grab some RO and in the process of doing a 50% WC.

I bet its from the base rock I got from my neighbor

DanS180 said:
How long should I wait before retesting my parameters?

I'd test them again tomorrow afternoon if possible. It could be the rock or just changing everything over to a new tank. It's not really unusual. The water change will definitely help. I wouldn't feed much at all. Maybe a little every other day for a week and then see where your levels are. It's really good that you caught it while the shop was still open.

CorallineAlgae said:
I'd test them again tomorrow afternoon if possible. It could be the rock or just changing everything over to a new tank. It's not really unusual. The water change will definitely help. I wouldn't feed much at all. Maybe a little every other day for a week and then see where your levels are. It's really good that you caught it while the shop was still open.

Yeah I was freaking out! It was 7:40 when I finished testing and they closed at 8.. thank god I'm local haha I only swapped out 10 gallons and still have 5 gallons left over, figure I'll pick up more tomorrow after work and change again if necessary

This is also a good time to see how developed your BB is. It will covert faster the stronger it is. You should be ok. Just stay on top of it like you are.

22engine said:
This is also a good time to see how developed your BB is. It will covert faster the stronger it is. You should be ok. Just stay on top of it like you are.

True, don't think its developed that much yet, I think its been MAYBE a month since everything's been together so I guess we'll c.. retest once I get home from work tomorrow :)

22engine said:

Very good point. Considering he doesn't have any ammonia his BB may be taking care of the problem fairly well. That and a few water changes. lol

CorallineAlgae said:
Very good point. Considering he doesn't have any ammonia his BB may be taking care of the problem fairly well. That and a few water changes. lol

Well I'm hoping this isn't an ongoing problem, I've never had any issues with parameters before ::knock on wood:: but I'll be able to handle it no matter what the problem is :) (hopefully lol)

DanS180 said:
Well I'm hoping this isn't an ongoing problem, I've never had any issues with parameters before ::knock on wood:: but I'll be able to handle it no matter what the problem is :) (hopefully lol)

I bet when u test today nitrites will be 0 and just have some nitrates. I bet you had a little spike in ammonia from that rock and your bb started converting it to nitrite like it should and u caught the process in the middle. If you just have trates left then you can do the five gallons u got left to bring them down depending what they are

22engine said:
I bet when u test today nitrites will be 0 and just have some nitrates. I bet you had a little spike in ammonia from that rock and your bb started converting it to nitrite like it should and u caught the process in the middle. If you just have trates left then you can do the five gallons u got left to bring them down depending what they are

Well hopefully that's what it is :) fingers crossed!

Looking at my tank this morning, something dug up my green hammer :/ lol guess I gotta find a new, better spot for him

Just retested
HR pH 8.0
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite .25ppm
Nitrate 80ppm

How r my nitrates still at 80?? Guess I'm going to get more water, grrrr

DanS180 said:
Just retested
HR pH 8.0
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite .25ppm
Nitrate 80ppm

Nitrate should become easier to handle with the skimmer, but 80ppm is kinda O_O.

CorallineAlgae said:
Nitrate should become easier to handle with the skimmer, but 80ppm is kinda O_O.

I hope so! Guess I'll be doing another 50% WC.. off to the fish store

DanS180 said:
Just retested
HR pH 8.0
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite .25ppm
Nitrate 80ppm

My guess is that it lowered yesterday but the nitrites converted and that raised it back up?

On a more positive note, looks like your mini cycle is almost over!! :)

Bearchumjs said:
My guess is that it lowered yesterday but the nitrites converted and that raised it back up?

On a more positive note, looks like your mini cycle is almost over!! :)

Yeah that's what I'm thinking hopefully.. getting ready to mix my water now :)

Okay just did a 50-60% WC, should be good now I hope.. quick question, when you guys do PWC are your corals out of the water sometimes?? And is that okay?? Bc I moved mine so my mushroom and zoas are up high and my LPS are on the sand bed..

Its okay if they're out of water during a PWC right?

Back
Top Bottom