16G BowFront --> 29G Reef Tank Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes they can be out of the water for 15-20 minutes actually although there can be exceptions. They will coat themselves in a slime but if you feel like they are drying out just splash some water on them to save yourself a few more minutes

Mrc8858 said:
Yes they can be out of the water for 15-20 minutes actually although there can be exceptions. They will coat themselves in a slime but if you feel like they are drying out just splash some water on them to save yourself a few more minutes

Okay cool just wanted to make sure, and its normal for corals to close up when doing water changes right? Bc 3 of the 4 retract/close when I do my PWC

Some retraction is normal just make sure your trying to match everything as close as possible

Mrc8858 said:
Some retraction is normal just make sure your trying to match everything as close as possible

Yeah I'm trying to, almost every zao closes up when I do a WC, so I figured id ask

Polyps will open and close a lot compared to most corals. Even the slightest touch or stray flow can make them close up

Yeah that's what it appeared like to me too haha okay well other than that, the other ones are ok, my frogspawn retracted a lil but that's bc I spilled some water directly on it by accident :/ everyone's okay now tho :)

Ok retested again today
Ammo 0ppm
Nitrites 0ppm
Nitrates 40ppm

So a lil improvement, much better than the other day definitely.. think I should do one more big water change??

DanS180 said:
Ok retested again today
Ammo 0ppm
Nitrites 0ppm
Nitrates 40ppm

So a lil improvement, much better than the other day definitely.. think I should do one more big water change??

Yep. Get the nitrates down. That's what I'd do.

That's exactly where it should be after a 50% changes so just do a couple more and your back on track :)

Told you the dead rock wouldn't be so bad just a few water changes and your good to go again with a huge saving on money lol

Mrc8858 said:
That's exactly where it should be after a 50% changes so just do a couple more and your back on track :)

Excellent advice. Another two big water changes should get you back on track. After those things should get back to your normal routine. ^_^

Thanks guys :) I'll have to pick up more water tomorrow and do another big change :) everyone seems happy tho so that's a good :)

Has anyone ever used the BRS 3 stage space saver RO system?? Sounds like it'd be perfect for me but a lot of ppl say to get atleast a 4 stage system, thoughts??

Oh and its not a DI system, just strictly RO.. is that okay??

DanS180 said:
Has anyone ever used the BRS 3 stage space saver RO system?? Sounds like it'd be perfect for me but a lot of ppl say to get atleast a 4 stage system, thoughts??

Oh and its not a DI system, just strictly RO.. is that okay??

The 4-stage 75GPD really is better.

You don't have to use a DI filter, especially with the 75GPD RO unit. It's usually recommended and no one will say that it isn't better to have a RODI, but... you're definitely better off with your own RO system than using LFS water. I've always used regular RO in all of my reefs with great results.

CorallineAlgae said:
The 4-stage 75GPD really is better.

You don't have to use a DI filter, especially with the 75GPD RO unit. It's usually recommended and no one will say that it isn't better to have a RODI, but... you're definitely better off with your own RO system than using LFS water. I've always used regular RO in all of my reefs with great results.

So I would be okay with the 3 stage?? Or do u think I should seriously consider a 4 stage??

Okay so after watching YouTube videos and whatnot, I think I'm def goin to get an RO system, (not knowing anything about how they work or how they were installed beforehand) so it seems simple enough, use it when I have to on my sink instead of making a permanent connection, now just gotta save up :)

DanS180 said:
So I would be okay with the 3 stage?? Or do u think I should seriously consider a 4 stage??

The 4-stage is the way to go. Even if you decide not to use the DI filter later on. It has full sized filter housings that can make a lot more water before replacing the pre-filters. Not that the 3-stage won't work.

CorallineAlgae said:
The 4-stage is the way to go. Even if you decide not to use the DI filter later on. It has full sized filter housings that can make a lot more water before replacing the pre-filters. Not that the 3-stage won't work.

Oh okay I got ya, ok so time to save up for a 4 stage.. I think the cheapest I saw was like $170 on BRS

Nu-Nu the eel said:
I got a great RO unit for 60 bucks on ebay. Works like a charm

Yeah? See my only problem there is I don't know what brands are good.. alls ive ever heard was BRS, so that's what I was gonna go with

Which brands would be best? N is yours a 4 stage?

Back
Top Bottom