16G BowFront --> 29G Reef Tank Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pizza101 said:
Lol that's funny! I also get my older two to help with checking perimeters weekly! Lol it's part of there chores...sometimes it's all about delegating.

Not bad, not bad haha

So I forgot I had a frag of Red Hornet Zoas held for me from like 2-3 weeks ago from my buddy lol already acclimated and added into the tank, waiting for them to open up now... oh and he gave me a free frag of Kenya tree :)

DanS180 said:
So I forgot I had a frag of Red Hornet Zoas held for me from like 2-3 weeks ago from my buddy lol already acclimated and added into the tank, waiting for them to open up now... oh and he gave me a free frag of Kenya tree :)

That's funny I just told grant and jack about tidalgardens having some red hornets :)

How quickly does Calcium usually get used up in a tank? On 10/22 my calcium was at 500ppm. Today its at 460ppm.. is that normal??

Also since doing a 5 gal WC again my magnesium went from 1200 to 1240ppm.

Oh and how is it that I've done 2 water changes and added "phosban" into my filter and still have 0.25ppm of phosphate??

DanS180 said:
How quickly does Calcium usually get used up in a tank? On 10/22 my calcium was at 500ppm. Today its at 460ppm.. is that normal??

Also since doing a 5 gal WC again my magnesium went from 1200 to 1240ppm.

Oh and how is it that I've done 2 water changes and added "phosban" into my filter and still have 0.25ppm of phosphate??

Yes that's pretty normal if you're seeing coral and coralline growth. Lots of people have to dose or drip come form of calcium daily to keep up with demand.

Glad to see your magnesium is back up.

The phosphates could be from normal feeding. You may need to change food or just give the phosban more time. It takes a while. I stay away from Tetra and Wardleys brand foods. They seem to be common offenders. It's probably just a matter of time before it gets to zero. Everything good happens slowly in a reef.

CorallineAlgae said:
Yes that's pretty normal if you're seeing coral and coralline growth. Lots of people have to dose or drip come form of calcium daily to keep up with demand.

Glad to see your magnesium is back up.

The phosphates could be from normal feeding. You may need to change food or just give the phosban more time. It takes a while. I stay away from Tetra and Wardleys brand foods. They seem to be common offenders. It's probably just a matter of time before it gets to zero. Everything good happens slowly in a reef.

Well I'm glad everything looks good at least. :) now I just gotta figure out what to buy for dosing calcium bc I'm probably gonna eventually need it...

Now to determine what this red hair looking stuff is and if its bad

Top of the rock to the left side, kinda hard to see but its all over this one spot of the rock

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121025_233419.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121025_233419.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 66
Ya but it is a sign of either low flow or excess nutrients so its an early signal that you may need to fine tune your schedule a bit more.

Mrc8858 said:
Ya but it is a sign of either low flow or excess nutrients so its an early signal that you may need to fine tune your schedule a bit more.

Low flow?... that spot is about 12-13inches away from the powerhead that's pointed directly in that area lol you can see the red hairs flowing in the water

Could be dyno's too. I have the same problem. I used a turkey baster to blow it off and then I lowered the light schedule. I shut them off for and entire day after I blew it off and it didn't really grow back. I am doing more research on it but was told by some people on Boston reefers that's its part I having a new tank and to not do a water change cause it can make it worse and to leave the lights off. Then slowly add the light back.

22engine said:
Could be dyno's too. I have the same problem. I used a turkey baster to blow it off and then I lowered the light schedule. I shut them off for and entire day after I blew it off and it didn't really grow back. I am doing more research on it but was told by some people on Boston reefers that's its part I having a new tank and to not do a water change cause it can make it worse and to leave the lights off. Then slowly add the light back.

Well I can try the light thing but what about the corals? R they goin to be okay without the light for the a whole day?

DanS180 said:
Well I can try the light thing but what about the corals? R they goin to be okay without the light for the a whole day?

Yes they will be fine. They can go days without lights. They will get some light from the ambient light in the room it's in.

22engine said:
Yes they will be fine. They can go days without lights. They will get some light from the ambient light in the room it's in.

Ok I'll try n blow it off then like leave the lights off for a day n see what happens

DanS180 said:
Ok I'll try n blow it off then like leave the lights off for a day n see what happens

That's what I did and I noticed a big difference. I had just put 12 hermits in cause my pistol had killed some of the ones I had and they were going to town all day with the lights off.

Back
Top Bottom