16G BowFront --> 29G Reef Tank Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
22engine said:
That's what I did and I noticed a big difference. I had just put 12 hermits in cause my pistol had killed some of the ones I had and they were going to town all day with the lights off.

Lol well hopefully my guys take care of it... bc in a day or 2 it looks like the red stuff grew a lil bit

So I dunno if any of you r on the East coast but were supposed to be getting a nasty hurricane and the power is definitely goin to go out.

My question is, how long can my corals go without light? And how long can everything last with no power?

It's hard to say. I live in Louisiana where hurricanes are a fact of life. We use battery powered air pumps that people use to keep live bait or fish alive while fishing. You can get them in sporting goods stores and often at walmart. I've pulled through mire than a few hurricanes by using them. You just put your bio media inside the tank and bubble away. If it's cold you can wrap the tank in old blankets or beach towels to help. If it gets hot some ice in a cooler partitioned into ziplocks before the storm hits becomes a tank saver.

CorallineAlgae said:
It's hard to say. I live in Louisiana where hurricanes are a fact of life. We use battery powered air pumps that people use to keep live bait or fish alive while fishing. You can get them in sporting goods stores and often at walmart. I've pulled through mire than a few hurricanes by using them. You just put your bio media inside the tank and bubble away. If it's cold you can wrap the tank in old blankets or beach towels to help. If it gets hot some ice in a cooler partitioned into ziplocks before the storm hits becomes a tank saver.

Well I'm hoping we don't lose power at all but with my luck we will lol I'll go out tomorrow and see if I can get portable air pumps just to circulate the water at least

DanS180 said:
Well I'm hoping we don't lose power at all but with my luck we will lol I'll go out tomorrow and see if I can get portable air pumps just to circulate the water at least

Corals can go awhile without light. It's the circulation that you need to worry about. Just throw a couple of those air pumps and you should be ok for a couple days.

22engine said:
Corals can go awhile without light. It's the circulation that you need to worry about. Just throw a couple of those air pumps and you should be ok for a couple days.

Ok cool.. I'll be sure to look for them tomorrow.. any idea on how much they are?

DanS180 said:
Ok cool.. I'll be sure to look for them tomorrow.. any idea on how much they are?

The smaller ones are less than 10 at Walmart. Run on D batteries.

Okay I haven't dealt with the red hair yet, been getting prepared for this hurricane were supposed to get lol

Can anything bad come of adding too many corals at once(mainly zoas)? Obviously depletion of Calcium and Mag. But other than that?? Anything?

I hope yours in cyno and not dinos like mine is. I have been reading alot on my issues and its a PITA to get rid of. I'm currently trying to blackout trick for three days. It's taking over. Read many threads that say this crap I have will push you to the edge of giving up completely.

22engine said:
I hope yours in cyno and not dinos like mine is. I have been reading alot on my issues and its a PITA to get rid of. I'm currently trying to blackout trick for three days. It's taking over. Read many threads that say this crap I have will push you to the edge of giving up completely.

Well ill have to take care of that red stuff tomorrow.. maybe I'll take the rock out and scrub it down then leave the lights off

DanS180 said:
Well ill have to take care of that red stuff tomorrow.. maybe I'll take the rock out and scrub it down then leave the lights off

Just don't do all the rock at once because you will be takin good stuff off too and you don't wanna kill to much BB

22engine said:
Just don't do all the rock at once because you will be takin good stuff off too and you don't wanna kill to much BB

Good point.. in that case maybe I'll just try n grab the stuff off of the rock while its still in the tank

DanS180 said:
Good point.. in that case maybe I'll just try n grab the stuff off of the rock while its still in the tank

Had the lights off for two days now and it looks like its all gone which is what it suppose to happen. Afraid to turn the lights back on. The crap is / was starting to affect my corals. I also thought that m pistol was killing my snails and hermits but apparently dino is a toxic Algae to them and kills them

22engine said:
Had the lights off for two days now and it looks like its all gone which is what it suppose to happen. Afraid to turn the lights back on. The crap is / was starting to affect my corals. I also thought that m pistol was killing my snails and hermits but apparently dino is a toxic Algae to them and kills them

Oh wow really?? That's crazy. Well where mine is growing isnt gonna affect anything.. its at the highest point of my rock and with the powerhead hitting it, its blowing right into my hob filter intake tube lol

That's good. Mine just appears everyplace.
Even when I would get rid of it by blowing it off and sucking it out, it would be back in a few hours.

22engine said:
That's good. Mine just appears everyplace.
Even when I would get rid of it by blowing it off and sucking it out, it would be back in a few hours.

Its weird tho.. its forming on the glass right near the rock too but there's like bubbles trapped in it. I'm gonna try n get a pic

Look at the bubbles right behind it and there's actually bubbles forming in it also

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121029_103741.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121029_103741.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 52
DanS180 said:
Look at the bubbles right behind it and there's actually bubbles forming in it also

Yes Dinos and cyno both trap and create bubbles. Due to the color yours looks like cyno to me. My dinos are brown and look like snot

22engine said:
Yes Dinos and cyno both trap and create bubbles. Due to the color yours looks like cyno to me. My dinos are brown and look like snot

Okay and cyno is bad right?

Back
Top Bottom