16G BowFront --> 29G Reef Tank Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DanS180 said:
:)! Thank you! Im starting to worry tho... this tank, my first SW tank, is going so well that I'm just waiting for something horrible to happen lol

You're doing everything right, following all the steps. I'd be shocked if something actually bad did happen. Truth is, by this time next year you'll probably be looking for people to buy or trade for your excess corals.

You're doing everything right, following all the steps. I'd be shocked if something actually bad did happen. Truth is, by this time next year you'll probably be looking for people to buy or trade for your excess corals.

kinda crazy how im already thinking of that! haha my zoas are multiplying like crazy! my zoa garden is going to consist of LA Lakers, Darth Mauls and Red Hornets(the unofficial kind, not the extremely expensive kind) so when that actually gets going, i can prob make a great deal of money there :)

I keep getting this green film on the front of my glass.. can't really tell from straight on but looking thru a side panel you can see all of it.. I wipe it off one day and its back the very next :/ this just started a few days ago.. is it just algae?

Yep that's what it sounds like. I usually wipe my glass every day or 2 with my aqueon magnet.

Mrc8858 said:
Yep that's what it sounds like. I usually wipe my glass every day or 2 with my aqueon magnet.

Yeah same here, any way to make it stop? Or is that just gonna keep happening?

Running gfo will slow it down along with algae scrubbers and chaeto but its just a part of reef keeping lol. That's why you always see mag floats on all the reef display tanks in fish stores ;)

Mrc8858 said:
Running gfo will slow it down along with algae scrubbers and chaeto but its just a part of reef keeping lol. That's why you always see mag floats on all the reef display tanks in fish stores ;)

Oh yeah good point haha yeah I just leave my float in the tank too, no point in taking it out if its gonna be used everyday haha

Take it out once a month or less and soak it in vinegar.. this will remove any spiraloid worms or any other hard deposits or growths that could potentially scratch your tank.

Mrc8858 said:
Take it out once a month or less and soak it in vinegar.. this will remove any spiraloid worms or any other hard deposits or growths that could potentially scratch your tank.

Soak in vinegar and rinse with RO water I'm assuming?

Ok I think I asked this before but magnesium can't go UP on its own right?? I just tested my parameters and I did the Mag test twice bc I thought I may have done it wrong and somehow my mag has gone from 1240ppm to 1300ppm and my kH has gone from 11° to 9° which is understandable bc it gets used up over time but why is my Mag at 1300?

Hard to say. Do you know what it is in your freshly mixed saltwater? Are you adding anything that has magnesium? Whatever it is I wouldn't worry, 1300 is not to high. That's about where I aim for (1320-1350).

CorallineAlgae said:
Hard to say. Do you know what it is in your freshly mixed saltwater? Are you adding anything that has magnesium? Whatever it is I wouldn't worry, 1300 is not to high. That's about where I aim for (1320-1350).

No I'm not sure but i haven't done any water changes recently and it went from 1240 to 1300.. UNLESS it takes time after the water change for the Mag to change?

It could be the test or the time. My money's on the test. You're still in the good zone so I wouldn't give it much thought. Minor anomalies are par for the coarse.

CorallineAlgae said:
It could be the test or the time. My money's on the test. You're still in the good zone so I wouldn't give it much thought. Minor anomalies are par for the coarse.

okie dokie, I guess when it drops I'll start to worry haha

Just picked up some Reef Snow and figured id give it a try... anyone know when the best time to feed corals are? Prob at night when the lights are off right?

DanS180 said:
Just picked up some Reef Snow and figured id give it a try... anyone know when the best time to feed corals are? Prob at night when the lights are off right?

For most yes

Try adding a little drop to the tank about 5 mins before feeding. Whenever I do this I get a lot better feeding response that way everyone usually gets fed.

Back
Top Bottom