17g and bn pleco?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree that your big tank sounds fine. If you pull out the female betta for the 17 gallon, I would just get her some new tankmates and leave everybody else in the 70. I agree that 17g is too small for a bnp. Can you get otos? They would do fine in a 17g. Also, you would still have space for a school of nano fish like celestial pearl danios or ember tetras.

absolutangel04 said:
I agree that your big tank sounds fine. If you pull out the female betta for the 17 gallon, I would just get her some new tankmates and leave everybody else in the 70. I agree that 17g is too small for a bnp. Can you get otos? They would do fine in a 17g. Also, you would still have space for a school of nano fish like celestial pearl danios or ember tetras.

I love ember tetras. I've just started lookin around for them and the only place I found them is on line. I might have to ask around my LFS to see I they can order them in.

I'd go with embers. They are more temperature and temperment compatible with the betta in comparison to the CPD's.

I agree on the oto's. If you get oto's, I would wait until the tank has matured for about 6 months, and add exactly 3. You want to keep them in groups of no less than 3 but avoid stocking more than 1 per 5 gals.

siva said:
I'd go with embers. They are more temperature and temperment compatible with the betta in comparison to the CPD's.

I agree on the oto's. If you get oto's, I would wait until the tank has matured for about 6 months, and add exactly 3. You want to keep them in groups of no less than 3 but avoid stocking more than 1 per 5 gals.

Not sure if ive ever heard of CPD in Aus before. Not sure about the ottos. I've already got 2 huge mistery snails in the 17 already. Wouldn't want them to be out competed.

Mystery snails aren't really algae eaters so they should be fine to mix with an algae eater.

No, flame tetras are a larger tetra.

Neons would work.

Yeah, a flame tetra is a different species, but maybe things are different in Australia. Try to find the latin name. Thats the only way to be sure. If it is listed under the proper latin name, then you are fine. :)
Also, I have snails (including mystery snails) in all my tanks with various algae eaters (including otos) and there sin't an issue. Mystery snails would rather eat dropped fish food anyway. :)

If you like the flame tetras though, your tank might be big enough. Not sure the dimensions of your 17 gallon, but if it's a longer type tank that will open up more tetra options, where as if it's a taller type you may be limited to only smaller tetras like neons.

absolutangel04 said:
Yeah, a flame tetra is a different species, but maybe things are different in Australia. Try to find the latin name. Thats the only way to be sure. If it is listed under the proper latin name, then you are fine. :)
Also, I have snails (including mystery snails) in all my tanks with various algae eaters (including otos) and there sin't an issue. Mystery snails would rather eat dropped fish food anyway. :)

Thanks I'll look up the Latin name. That's good to know about the ottos. I'm kinda nervous about them because I hear they had a really high mortality rate.

toddnbecka said:
Ya, just a little shorter than my 20 "tall" tank. Deep enough for a single angel fish.

Cool thanks. Tanks aren't the same over here.

I went to petbarn (like petco) today and I could help myself. I got 10 neon tetras :) $1.10 each. Gotta be happy with that.

29 gals is generally considered the minimum for a single angel, to my knowledge, so I would have to disagree with that. I wouldn't put one in a 20H, or in this tank that is a bit smaller.

It is just a little off from the standard 20H over here, so that does really open up your tetra options. You would not be limited to just embers and neons. You could do a school of flames, glowlights, head and tail lights, rummynoses, green fires, or cardinals to name a few. I see you did pick up neons but, just wanted to let you know anyway. :cool:

I think the high mortality rate in the oto's is in large part due to improper stocking and supplementing. I haven't had problems with my oto's at all, but it is crucial to wait until the tank has matured and not overstock them (three would be perfect for your tank). If you do decide to give them a try down the road, just be sure to supplement with blanched zucchini and/or shelled peas weekly in addition to a regular algae wafer supplement. They are often picky eaters that don't eat the wafers. This is the same treatment I would recommend and use myself for all algae eaters.

If you are looking for something else that would fit in nicely I would recommend marble hatchets. I keep them in a 20 gal with a betta and some tetras and it works out very nicely. The tetras swim low and the hatchets swim high and the betta is all over the place so it fills out the tank well. Just an idea. ;)

29 gals is generally considered the minimum for a single angel, to my knowledge, so I would have to disagree with that. I wouldn't put one in a 20H, or in this tank that is a bit smaller.

It is just a little off from the standard 20H over here, so that does really open up your tetra options. You would not be limited to just embers and neons. You could do a school of flames, glowlights, head and tail lights, rummynoses, green fires, or cardinals to name a few. I see you did pick up neons but, just wanted to let you know anyway. :cool:

I think the high mortality rate in the oto's is in large part due to improper stocking and supplementing. I haven't had problems with my oto's at all, but it is crucial to wait until the tank has matured and not overstock them (three would be perfect for your tank). If you do decide to give them a try down the road, just be sure to supplement with blanched zucchini and/or shelled peas weekly in addition to a regular algae wafer supplement. They are often picky eaters that don't eat the wafers. This is the same treatment I would recommend and use myself for all algae eaters.

If you are looking for something else that would fit in nicely I would recommend marble hatchets. I keep them in a 20 gal with a betta and some tetras and it works out very nicely. The tetras swim low and the hatchets swim high and the betta is all over the place so it fills out the tank well. Just an idea. ;)
I agree about the angel. they like to swim up and down rather than horizontally, so I do not think there is proper space in the tank.
I also agree about the oto mortality rate, but I am goint to add that often there is a high mortality rate in fish which are mostly wild-caught like otos. Otos can be bred in capitvity, but I heard from a guy who works at an lfs that they are essentially impossible to find. Mine are tank-bred, but they came from a local guy rather than a store. Most stores carry wild-caught ones. There are a lot of adjustment issues are inherent with wild-caught fish.

Good buy on the neons! They are a bit sensitive too, so keep an eye on them. But soooo pretty. If you could get a ram cichlid or an apisto of some sort, they look great with neons!

Absolutely. It's because they are wild caught they can be tricky to supplement. If it appears they aren't accepting any supplements at all, extra algae should be grown on some stones in a bowl of tank water kept in a sunny spot, and then added to the tank for them to graze on. If kept in a mature tank w/o too many algae eaters, this shouldn't really be necesary though. IME most are going to come around to veggies pretty quickly.

I hope I haven't made oto's sound too terribly high maintenance. They really are cute and fun to watch and will keep a tank spotless. ;)

Absolutely. It's because they are wild caught they can be tricky to supplement. If it appears they aren't accepting any supplements at all, extra algae should be grown on some stones in a bowl of tank water kept in a sunny spot, and then added to the tank for them to graze on. If kept in a mature tank w/o too many algae eaters, this shouldn't really be necesary though. IME most are going to come around to veggies pretty quickly.

I hope I haven't made oto's sound too terribly high maintenance. They really are cute and fun to watch and will keep a tank spotless. ;)
They are pretty cute and good for smaller tanks. If you want them, ask if they are tank-bred of wild caught (but you should try to do this for all fish). If you must get wild caught ones, then look at their profiles and pick ones who have round bellies and whose dorsal fins are sticking up rather than being tucked in. :) Otos keep the plants algea free better than any other algae eating species I have owned.

Thank you both. I've decided I'm going to get a golden gourami for my 70g so that means my dwarf will have to move to my 17g. So that puts planned stock for the 17 at 10 neon tetras 1 dwarf gourami 1 female betta (if she behaves herself). would there still be room for 3 ottos? I would love to get a GBR but I don't think one will fit after I add the gourami to the 17. If not I think I might trade my red tail shark in for 2 or 3 GBR for my 70. Thoughts?

I don't think your 17 gal is large enough for a ram. What else is in the 70? I don't see why not...

The tank is big enough to add the oto's as well, but what kind of filtration do you have on there? If it's a sort of stock kit type aquarium it is likely only filtered well enough to stock lightly.

Mixing a gourami and a betta doesn't sound like a great idea in a 17 gal to be honest with you. I do have a male dwarf gourami and a female betta in a heavily planted 29 gal, but they certainly aren't friends. She has just the right personality and she lets him run the show, and there are tons of hiding places, so it works out OK, but it's not something I generally would recommend.

Back
Top Bottom