180 Gallon Cichlid Tank setup question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishmanbrady

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
When I get my 180 gallon tank, what kind of substrate should I get? I'm thinking Black Sand. I currently have: Tiger Oscar, Jaguar, Convict, EB Jack Dempsey, Green Terror, and 2 Pleco's. Should I get a canister filter
With my hang over tank filter? Could I fit in any more full grown fish? What kind of black sand is best and safest? What kind of background would look nice?

Last edited:
Yes get a canister filter. That is fully stocked right there. Maybe a little over but its fine. The jag might go after the convict but if you raise them together as young they might be ok. But with sand and backround thats up to you lol. I dont know.

When I get my 180 gallon tank, what kind of substrate should I get? I'm thinking Black Sand. I currently have: Tiger Oscar, Jaguar, Convict, EB Jack Dempsey, Green Terror, and 2 Pleco's. Should I get a canister filter
With my hang over tank filter? Could I fit in any more full grown fish? What kind of black sand is best and safest? What kind of background would look nice?

What kind of HOB filter do you have? Any HOB I've ever seen would not be enough filtration for a heavily-stocked 180G. I'd recommend looking into the Fluval FX5 canister. It's not fun to clean, but you can get it for about $200 and it's one of the best filters out there.

Regarding your stock. For the most part it is fine, but I'd probably lose one of the plecos, which will help with the water quality. The EBJD probably won't last in the long run, since they never seem to survive. I'd also be surprised if that Jaguar didn't cause problems for the oscar long term.

Also - I'd be prepared to stick to a 1 week - 50% PWC once that stock list puts on size. You'll have your hands full with nitrates even with a good maintenance schedule.

Back
Top Bottom