180 Gallon Tank Stand - Build Log

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks awesome. I'm planning on making my next stand fancier like that. Good job on the crown. I'm assuming you had a miter saw with the detents (31.6 and 33.9 degrees if memory serves me) If not that's extra awesome :)

Jim

Thanks bound_for_obx
I'm assuming you had a miter saw with the detents (31.6 and 33.9 degrees if memory serves me) If not that's extra awesome
Thanks Jim ... I did have a 12" miter to do the trim work. It still took several attempts on the smaller crown pieces even with good equipment.
Fishing trip got cancelled this week, so I've started in on the stand. (it's turning into a sickness). I should have some pics by mid week.

IMPERATORFAN,

You are one heck of a stand builder.
That looks GREAT!!!!!!!
Wish I would have thought to add molding to my stand like you did it really sets it off.

If you think that is over kill you should see the stnd for my 180.
Double 2x4's and 4x4 legs and I didnt nail them together used big bolts.
Just didnt want 180 gallons of water in my livingroom carpet...LOL

Again great job it looks beautiful!!!!!!!

WOW, that is incredible. Wish you didn't live so far away, I'd have to commission you to build me one :wink:

Thanks oscarbreeder & jamal-188. I've enjoyed the project enough that I wouldn't mind putting one together for someone locally.

Finally got my picks download ... and I made some serious progress on the trim work last night. This late night work is taking its toll.

Started off building the top of the hood by joinging two 12" wide solid oak boards to about a 4.5 foot stretch of oak ply. I used biscuits again for most of the joints/joins on the canopy.
Door_1.JPG

... and then I put together the front (right & left) corners. These are solid oak on the front piece and ply on the sides. Solid oak was used anywhere that the 3/4" edge of the board will be visible (for the most part). It was easier to clamp these two seperate pieces together to make sure that they would be perfect 90 degree angles.
Front_Corners.JPG

... then I attached the front coners to the back piece. Didn't have a large enough pipe clamp so I had to improvise with 2.
Sides_1.JPG

Had to stack up a bunch of stuff in the middle to make sure the back brace wouldn't dip down. Also, you can see the canopy top on the floor that was used to make sure everything was lining up right.
Sides_2.JPG

Next was attaching the top to the sides with 2" heavy duty wood screws.
Attach_Top_Sides.JPG

Used the completed canopy shell to line build the door. I hope this lines up correctly when I put the hinges on. Any difference in the door and the front pieces will make for a crappy looking hood.
Attach_Door_Front.JPG

Then I got started on building the ledge that the tank will sit on. Unfortunately, this is where I made my one amatuer woodworking error. I Measured out the length of the vertical supports for this and completed forgot about the extra 3/4 inches that the ledge itself would add. This left me with only 1 1/4 inches of side material to cover the trim on the tank. The trim on the tank is 1 1/2 inches. :bad-words: The good news is that this is a mistake that I can recover from. I'll just need to figure out how to use the bottom canopy trim to cover an extension that also runs horizontally back to the tank to cover the trim.
Tank_Ledge_1.JPG
Tank_Ledge_3.JPG

I also cut out space for my wiring in this diagonal support
Tank_Ledge_2.JPG

... then the finishing touch ... molding! I've got the hand of this trim work now. It took very little time, of course it was much easier to do the canopy since it only had 2 corners to work with.
Canopy_Molding_Left_2.JPG
Canopy_Molding_Front.JPG

Also started to strenghthen the door last night.
Door_Supports.JPG

Now I'm down to putting trim on the door, mounting the door, and filling in the holes by the trim with some small pieces of ply. Can't wait to stack this thing up and see how the canopy and stand look together!:D

Thanks Dusty

I did a little work the day after the 4th to add a little extra strength to the canopy. I added a thin piece of oak to complete the front. I figured this piece would get it a little closer to a complete square and add a little stability. You can also see a pair of 1x2's that I ran under the canopy top. I noticed that the oak ply sheets had a little bend to them when they were any length over 5 feet. I didn't see the lid dipping down once the canopy was together, but figured that it could start to sag once the humidity starts to get to it. Hopefully these supports will prevent that.
Front_Ledge.jpg

Front_Ledge_Back.jpg
Canopy_Top_Support.jpg

I also started doing some of the final finishing work. If you look close, you can see where I cut out a (sort of) triangle shaped piece to fill in the gaps behind the crown. Check out those saw blade burns ... ouch ... maybe I'll throw a stand sanding party.:beer:
Crown_Filler.jpg

I'm starting to prep for staining tonight. I found a good wood filler in a tube at Lowes. I think it's a minwax product. I was making my own by mixing wood glue with the saw dust, but this stuff seems to be covering the holes and seams much better. It also advertises that it'll stain to match the oak. Time will tell ...

I'm trying some stains on leftover wood also. So far minwax red oak looks good when I leave it soak in for about 1/2 hour. I'm having a real tough time getting it to soak into the crown ... don't know why:confused: I also realized that it is CRITICALLY important to totally clean your work area and get rid of the saw dust before you poly. My test pieces ended up with plenty of dust in the finish.

I did get someone to help me stack this big contraption together this past weekend so that I could take measurements for the top cap for the stand and the bottom trim for the canopy. I also wanted to get an idea as to what it's going to look like ... and wow!!!:D It looks fantastic. The thing is heavy and huge ... much bigger when assembled than I thought It'd be. I'll get some more pics once I'm done with the remaining trim and when I do my final fit before staining ... hopfully by this weekend.

Great looking stand. Have you had a chance to do any more work to it?

I just came across this thread. I'm very impressed by your work!

By the way, pipe clamps are very easy to lengthen. Buy a pipe union. You can join sections of pipe to get as long as you need (practically). For cabinet work, I find 3' and 4' sections are all I need.

Me too. I hope you haven't given up! This is an inspiring thread. Makes me want to run down the the hardware store this minute.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom