194G IPI tank build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SWSCJ said:
Photoshop?....lol

Looks great and good choices !

To remove the glare? Too much work, lol!

Thanks, the cardinals keep scaring me by the RBTA. The Chromis seems lonely but it is coming out more.

Our sea star who is currently named Potato. My son has named him "brownie", "tree" and now "potato".
img_1943334_0_bcdbf264a7999b9dd469c5e5f92fe652.jpg

As usual lefty, just gorgeous! Beautiful shot you took too. :)

Thanks Carey, we love our "Potato" he is soooo RED. I actually have found using a mini softbox on top of my flash seems to really work well with my tank. Today maybe I'll get out the tripod and be a good photographer.

I like Potato, LOL.

What kind of Sea Star is he?

Fromia species, red with black dots. I got him from a local reefer who stays at home and sells coral, etc. he said when he got him the star had a hole all the way through the center of him. It healed, so I'm hoping that means he is a tough one!

Yesterday I noticed a scratch dead center of the front of the tank, I think my son must have hit it with something. It was about 5" long and was two lines like a railroad track. About 15 minutes of work with some ultra fine sand paper (1500-4000) and my orbital polisher and it is back to new! I used plastix car plastic polisher, but I'm ordering some novus as it is recommended by the aquarium manufacturer.

The fish were a little scared but I followed the polishing with some frozen food and they are over it.

Bonnie an Clyde took on the kole tang about a week ago. Both clowns got pretty good gashes in them, clyde had one going all the way through his dorsal fin and part of his body. I also started feeding my DIY food last week. Both have no signs of the gashes today and are healed! I hope that means my food is good! Also my Efflo is almost completely blue and purple now!!

Mr clean magic eraser on the wet side of my mag float = one sparkling clean tank! It even buffed some scratches that the mag float made! I can't stop staring at the tank.

Doesn't the eraser have soap in it? lol I know I've used some before and they made quite a soapy mess!

carey said:
Doesn't the eraser have soap in it? lol I know I've used some before and they made quite a soapy mess!

No soap, you have to use the original though. And then cut it into 1/4" slices to use between the mag float.

If you wet it and soap comes out, it is not the right one and don't use that in the tank. On a side, no algae has come back since I used it! I usually scrape every other day.

Bonnie and Clyde laid eggs. I have no idea when, but they went from orange to brown overnight, I think they will hatch soon. Clyde tends to them with his mouth, he's not eating them though.

I dropped my auto feeder in the tank a month ago and despite my parameters checking out okay, I've lost most SPS corals and both clams. The one clam I had for a year and half :(

Everyone else seems fine, including the star, all anenomes, LPS and softies. Dori has doubled in size since I got her, as well as the orange lined chromis.

What a great idea! I use the original magic erasers on my tank but never thought about using it with my magnet. I've been standing on a stool 2 days a week up to my shoulder scrubbing. Thanks for sharing.

FlopNewsom said:
What a great idea! I use the original magic erasers on my tank but never thought about using it with my magnet. I've been standing on a stool 2 days a week up to my shoulder scrubbing. Thanks for sharing.

I have to use a ladder/stool to get in my tank, the magnet works great with them. On a side, I have an acrylic tank and using them this way buffed out some of the minor scratches that were on the inside of the tank.

Okay...clown babies hatched last night. I see some made it into my sump. I hatched my own 9lb baby on Wednesday so I am not ready for clown babies :(

Kind of bummed.

So two months after the last fish were added, after quarantining and treating everyone over the course of 5+ months combined, except the yellow and powder brown tangs (observed for 30 something days in small QT after almost killing them with hypo mishap) my fish have ich. Noticed first on foxface and powder brown two weeks ago, now kole (still has some HLLE) and blue tangs are covered. So frustrated right now. Ready to sell it all and give up. I was so happy to be prophylactically treating everyone and have a healthy tank. I am guessing it was powder brown as yellow tang had been in fish store with copper for 4 weeks. Also, yellow doesn't have any ich on him, yet, seems pretty hardy.

The clowns keep laying eggs every three weeks, I'm not rearing the offspring. Still have cyano from dropping the auto feeder in the tank.

:(

Back
Top Bottom