1st ever Salt Water build. Goal is Reef System

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KevinM

Aquarium Advice Activist
Some of you know I found this 75 gallon on CL for really cheap and it was running SW. Well I was turning it back to FW, but now, after 3 months I can not come up with any ideas of what to do with it FW wise. But I have found a lot of SW fish I would like and been reading non stop every free min for 3 weeks now.

So I think Im going to take the Dive into the SW world. But I have a few questions I rather ask real people instead of something that was just wrote and posted on the net.

The tank(what I have atm)
75 Gallon Glass, with a 780gph Overflow box, Single Drain and return
I have a Wet/dry Sump. Ive read that a Wet/dry is not so well for a Reef Tank?

And the real Gem of this 250 dollar find...
a Coralife Lighting System, Im not 110% of the model number. but I think it is this one
Coralife Aqualight Pro, HQI MH Lamp + PC + Lunar LED,

It looks just like that one and has the same lights. Which I was going to set up to run FW plant lights but now I figure it would be one heck of a waste not to use it for corals.

So heres what Im wondering. Whats left?

Should I turn the sump into a Refuge? or leave it Wet/dry(the lady I bought it from used it on her Reef System)

I know I need a protein skimmer, Im thinking the Reef Octopus 6" Pinwheel in Sump 150 gallon Skimmer(it should fit, I will Measure before buying and what not)

power heads, Im thinking 2 Hydor Koralia Evolution Circulation Pump/Powerhead in the tank( I dont have 400+ bucks to spend on the Ecotechs)

I need a new Sump pump as the one that came wit hthe tank She said had a loose wire that could be fixed, but Im not taking the chance, new one is ordered

a RO/DI System Which Im thinking the Reef System 75g a day one.

Do I/Should I, be looking at a Phosphate Reactor? Ive read some people say under 120g they wont work, Others say you can run them on any tank. Kind of confused on this part.

At 1st it will be a FOWLR system with sooner or later adding Corals, I really like some of the LPS, Zoos, and Zoa's

As far as fish, Im thinking Gobies, a Black and white Clown, Pretty much reef safe fish

Thanks ahead of time for any help on this, I feel more lost than ever after reading more and more about setting up this tank.

Id def try to convert the wet/dry into a refugium. If you cant, pick up a 20l or 30g and simply chamber it fit your needs. (build your own refugium)
As for the phosphate reactor, i woulnt worry about that until you are established enough to start corals. The RO unit is a decent selection, but considering your dt is 75g, you could go with a smaller unit, then spend the saved money on a skimmer or ph upgrade;)
Skimmer selection? Dont think you can go wrong with reef octopus IMO (im looking at the 8" cone skimmer for my 125)
What i would personally recommend is spend 6-12 months getting the basics of sw down pat before attempting corals. That way you will be confident and steady enough to take on any coral you choose. Not to mention your success rate will be amazing.

**edit** theres nothing wrong with running evolutions. They are a solid ph that hold up well. IF you ever experience a problem with them reversing flow, simply contact Hydor and they will take care of ya;)

Back
Top Bottom